A Longboat Ride

December 25

Look, I never intended to fall into the Boston Harbor. It just happened. On Christmas Day, I slept in until 10:30. I know what you're thinking: why didn't you wake up early to open your presents and then go back to sleep? My answer to that is simple: uninterrupted sleep is vastly superior.

When I did finally get up, I checked my phone and saw my friends had been chatting a lot in our Snapchat group. They were all really pumped about the longboat race. We were going to meet at the Boston Port at noon and since I first had to meet up with my dad, I knew I needed to get ready quickly.

      I got dressed and then called my dad. "Hey kiddo," he said. "How are you?"

     "I just got up," I replied.

      "No worries," my father said. "Drink some coffee and you'll be awake. I've got the boats ready. I'm paying some of my employees double to drive the boats to the harbor today, so we can meet there."

       "Thanks dad," I said. "See you soon."

        "You too, son," he replied.

     I had a quick breakfast consisting of sliced bananas and peanut butter on a bagel. Then, I brushed my teeth and looked through my closet to find my winter coat. Now, I had two coats: the one I wore most days to school and in the fall and the one I wore when it was freezing cold out outside and I didn't want to lose any part of me to frostbite.

     I put on my warmest pair of boots and made sure I had my waterproof gloves and toque with me. I found my mother downstairs in the living room, pouring over a book on Viking expeditions. "Magnus, you ready?" she asked.

I grinned. "I'm ready to come in last place."

My mother rolled her eyes. "You can discuss self-deprecating humor in therapy."

She sighed and marked the spot she was reading in her book. "Come on, let's get going."

My mother drove me to the Boston Harbor. Once we got there, I called my dad. "I'm getting the longboats out on the water," he said. "So you can find me at the dock."

I texted "Meet me at the docks" in the group Snapchat. "Stay warm and safe!" my mother admonished. "And have fun!"

I smiled. That's what I loved about my mother. She cared about me having a good time as much as she cared about my health because she knew they were tied. Not all fun was dangerous and no fun could be just as bad for one's health.

I trudged through the icy streets. It was snowing lightly and there was a faint wind that drove through me like a bitter knife. Luckily, I was used to Bostonian cold and there was no way I was going to let a little snow and ice ruin my day with my friends.

      Halfborn was the first one I saw. He was wearing a large coat that appeared to be made of many furs. He wore his hair down and he was totally rocking the Viking look. Mallory was beside him, her curly red hair pulled back in a bun. A puffy green coat was keeping her warm. "Are you ready to lose?" she asked me.

     "Only if you are," Jack said, strolling up to us.

     Riptide was beside him. She looked happier than the last time I saw her. She and Jack were wearing matching slate-gray coats and pants. Hearthstone and Blitzen were color-coordinated, though less obviously. Blitzen was wearing a red coat (no, he did not look like Santa, just Blitzen) and black pants. Hearthstone was wearing a light-grey coat and matching pants; the candy-cane striped scarf around his neck gave him a pop of color.

      TJ and Samirah soon arrived. TJ was attired in a navy blue coat and black pants. Sam was dressed in her olive-green pea coat and wide-flared pants. "Where is your father?" Sam asked.

"Good question," I said. "He'd said he'd be near the docks."

"He's over there," Jack said, pointing in the direction.

"How did you know and Magnus didn't?" Mallory asked.

"I got paid extra to drive one of the boats out here," Jack said.

"That must be weird to work for Magnus' father," Halfborn muttered.

"We try not to talk about it," I said delicately.

"Yeah, Magnus is better than Frey," Jack said. "He'd never transfer me to another store location because of some crush."

I facepalmed. Hearing about my father's love life was just weird. We walked over to the docks and my father gave us a rundown on longboat safety. "You all need to wear life jackets or floaties. I know you teenagers probably think they're unnecessary—"

"And not fashionable," Blitzen interjected.

"But they could save your life," my father finished, "so I'm not letting you use my longboats unless you wear them."

We complied because it was such a small thing and besides, they were my father's longboats (and his life jackets). My father had brought two longboats out. They were each fifteen feet long (instead of over forty-five feet) and could fit five people. Sam, TJ, Alex, Hearthstone, and I were on one team. Mallory, Halfborn, Jack, Riptide, and Blitzen were on the other.

My father gave us wooden paddles and handed both Alex and Halfborn maps. "They're waterproof and they show the route you're taking," my father said. "Follow the route and stay safe. I don't want to have to call the Coast Guard on any of you."

He gave each of our boats a shove and we were off. At first, rowing felt strange. We also had to navigate around the multitude of boats in the harbor. Once we got a little farther out, we fell into a rhythm. Alex, who was seated at the prow, told us which direction to go. "Row harder," she'd occasionally say.

Sam muttered under her breath every time this happened. TJ tried to cheer the mood by getting us to sing Christmas carols, but it was too difficult to row and sing at the same time, so we soon gave up. "We're getting close," Alex said. "I'm looking for the rock."

"What? Rock?" I said, breathing heavily between each word.

"The boulder that marks the end of the race," Alex said. "We've got to be getting close."

I stopped rowing and caught my breath. "I'll look," I said, standing up.

I frowned. I couldn't get a good enough view. Was that a rock or something else? I stood up on my seat to get a better look and the boat began to rock. The seat was slick with moisture and I found myself sliding into the sea.

I hit the water. The water was icy and the sea was churning almost as if it was angry. I looked around wildly for the longboat. There! The waves kept coming at me, slapping against my face and entering my mouth when all I wanted was air. Luckily, the life jacket was keeping me afloat and I kicked and paddled towards it.

Once I got near, Alex held out a paddle for me to grab. I grasped it and Sam helped Alex hoist me onboard. I was soaking wet, my teeth were chattering loudly, and I had swallowed more seawater than I'd ever wished to taste in my life, but at least I was alive.