Chapter18

Jason

My eyes were glued to Molly as she sat down next to me in the wooden chair. My toast fell from my hand and landed on the plate below. I couldn't fathom the fact that she was here, sitting beside me after falling off the earth for over a damn year.

I still vividly recall the last time I saw her. Having decided to be friends with benefits, she had come to my apartment late one summer night. I remember telling her that I didn't want to do that anymore and that I still loved her because, at the time, I did. She told me she didn't want me in that way. Basically went on about how I was an awful boyfriend but the best sex partner she ever had, and she wanted to keep it that way.

I had felt like my heart had been torn out of my chest and stomped on all over again from when I found out she had cheated on me months before that. We had gotten into a heated argument, and she left and never came back...until now.

I breathed deeply before finding my voice. "What do you need to talk to me about?" I questioned flatly.

Molly looked away from me for a moment before maintaining eye contact once more. She cradled the baby boy in her lap as he began to stir around in her arms and let out small whines.

"I really don't even know how to say this...but I have to." She muttered, shaking her head. "A few months after we stopped seeing each other, I found out I was pregnant."

I furrowed my brows and shook my head at her. "Okay?..." I trailed off. "That's great...what does that have to do with me?" I asked, even though I knew exactly where this conversation was headed. I prayed to God above that she wouldn't say what I thought she was going to say.

"Jason..." She trailed off, frowning deeply. "I think my baby might be your son."

I looked at her in absolute disbelief as my stomach began to knot up. "Molly, what the hell do you mean you think he might be my son?!" I roared, causing her to flinch and her baby to start crying.

She lifted the crying baby to her shoulder and rubbed his back in an attempt to soothe him. She shushed him gently. Guilt filled me as I watched him sob. I didn't mean to be an asshole and make the kid cry.

"Look, I'm sorry, I shouldn't have yelled and scared him." I apologized, gripping at my hair out of frustration. "I'm just really fucking shocked right now."

"I know you are, and I wasn't expecting you to be exactly thrilled about me coming at all, let alone dropping this bomb on you." She stated. "But he's starting to get bigger, and I need to find out who his dad is before he realizes something's missing...he deserves that."

All I could do was nod my head as she continued, completely out of words at this point. "Around the time he was conceived, you and I were still sleeping together, but I had also had a one-night stand. So it's between the two of you."

My brows rose in shock, although I had no idea why I was even a lick of surprised. This was Molly, after all.

"The other guy, I have no way of contacting him. I don't know his name, number, or anything. It was just a drunken hook-up." She sighed. "But I knew you were working here, so I figured it wouldn't hurt to ask if you would get DNA tested. It would give my son and me the answer we need."

I could feel my heart rate start to pick up as I looked at both her and the little boy in her arms. "Well, like-I mean, do you have any idea which one of us might be the dad?" I asked.

"Honestly, Jason, you and I were hooking up consistently, and the other guy was just a one-time thing, so it's more likely to be you..." She trailed off. "His eyes, they're bright and blue just like yours, and sometimes when I look at them, I see you."