Chapter 23

Olivia

Rustling around the bedroom abruptly woke me from my sleep. I cringed at the sound of the dresser drawer slamming shut, followed by a hiss from Jason.

My eyes peeked over at him, standing before the black piece of furniture, looking right back at me with an apologetic look on his face.

He was fully dressed in his navy uniform, his hair still slightly damp. The little lamp dimly lighted the room on his nightstand as it was still pitch black outside.

"I'm sorry, baby, I didn't mean to slam that and wake you like that." Jason huffed, walking over to the bed and taking a seat beside me.

His fingers found themselves tangled in my brown hair, twisting it.

"What time is it?" I croaked out, my voice still full of sleep.

Jason glanced down at his watch. "Like five in the morning. One of the guys got hurt at a big fire they just had, and I got asked to come in."

I let out a groan, grabbing onto his arm and pulling him down next to me. Jason wrapped his arm loosely around me and pressed a kiss to my temple. "I thought you were off though, how can you get called in?"

"I was, but things happen Liv, I need to go help out. It'll only be for a little while, though. They're getting another guy to come in around noon so I can come back."

"I don't want you to go," I whispered, resting a hand on his cheek.

"I know, sweetheart." He frowned, tracing the pout on my lips. The moonlight shined down on his eyes from the large window causing a flicker to flash across his blue orbs, electrifying them. "But I have to. I'll take Hannah to her babysitter's house. I already got in contact with her, thankfully."

"No," I stated, shaking my head. "You can leave her with me. I'll take care of her."

"Baby, you don't have to do that, she can be a handful sometimes, and I know I say I'll be back at noon, but you know it could be longer."

"Jason..." I stressed, sitting up in bed. "I said you could leave her with me. I've got her, I promise."

A small smile tugged at his lips just as they met mine briefly, leaving me wanting more.

"You're amazing, Liv, thank you."

Jason stood up from the bed and pressed one more sweet kiss to my lips before grabbing his bag off the floor. Just as he started to walk away, I grabbed onto his arm, feeling my stomach begin to turn with anxiety. He spun back to look at me with furrowed brows.

"What's wrong, sweetheart?"

I let out a sigh, standing up from bed, gripping onto both his arms tightly.

"It's just...you're always talking about someone getting hurt, and I'm getting anxious," I admitted, biting down on my bottom lip. "I know it's your job, but it freaks me out sometimes, Jase."

His large, warm hands cupped my cheeks as he shook his head. "Hey, I don't want you worrying about me, okay? I'm coming right back to you."

I nodded my head, grabbing his hands and pulling them to my chest. "You better, Jason Boyd."

He smiled, tilting my head up with his thumb and kissing me softly, passionately, immersing us into a reality where it was just he and I. My arms laced themselves around him, gripping onto the navy shirt that fit his toned body so perfectly.

When his lips pulled free from mine, my arms held him even tighter. My head laid pressed against his chest, taking in each of his strong heartbeats. It was so steady, so comforting.