Chapter 46. Yellow flowers on a doll's grave

The next morning they were again unable to avoid breakfast in the company of the headman. There was no sign of Lady E this time, but E Mori seemed more gracious and helpful.

"You must be leaving our village today?" Headman asked over a cup of tea.

"Not yet," Shen said.

"I must warn you that the rain is not likely to stop in the coming weeks. Soon the autumn flood will come, the swamp will spread, engulfing the road, and it will be extremely difficult to leave the village."

"Yes," Shen nodded, completely unfazed by the threat. "Don't worry about us."

"I just don't understand what would interest the illustrious cultivators in our god-forsaken place."

"Never mind. We're in no hurry."

"Well," the headman sighed disapprovingly. "It's nice to know that our village delights the taste of such high-ranking gentlemen."

Oddly enough, this time the headman did not insist that E Mori accompany them on their walk. The girl disappeared immediately after breakfast, and they did not encounter her again, safely leaving for the village in their usual train. Annis reported that Mori hadn't left her room all night, and Al didn't have to play anything in front of anyone, since cultivators weren't disturbed that night.

Taking their hats from the rain, the spellcasters set off with a purpose. Ahead of them was an abandoned monastery. However, Shen was not entirely sure whether to take students to visit such a mysterious place. Let's say that Al should be protected by the aura of invulnerability of the main character, which Shen often forgets, but what will he say to Se Sial if he returns her daughter, who has aged sixty years?

Cultivators had already forgotten about the local madman, and he was still awake. He came around the corner and threw a large rock at the white-haired boy. But Al didn't train hard all this time for nothing: Immediately reacting, he blocked the stone with his sword.

As if by the law of meanness, the stone hit the sword and bounced straight at Shen.

"Ouch," he commented, rubbing his bruised shoulder.

"I'm sorry, Teacher!" Al exclaimed, turning pale. "This disciple is sorry!"

He bowed his head low, afraid to look at the teacher.

Shen wanted to wave it off, but decided to say something instructive:

"Yeah, next time, think about the people around you."

"I'm sorry! I'm sorry! Please assign me a punishment!"

"Some other time," Shen said, patting the top of his blond head. "After all, it's just an accident. Just be more careful next time."

Al's eyes flashed with anger as he looked up and saw the fool still standing at the edge of the road. Grabbing his sword, he started to lunge at it, but was stopped by Shen's commanding voice:

"Wait. What are you going to do?"

"I..." Al was taken aback. "I just..."

Al lowered his head dejectedly and sheathed his sword.

"I... I wouldn't have done anything if that rock had hit me, but that rock hurt the teacher..." he muttered softly, and immediately received a slap on the forehead.

Since the fingers that gave him the flick had a tiny bit of spiritual power concentrated in them, it was strong enough for Al to take a step back, barely able to stay on his feet.

"It's not your concern to worry about my 'suffering'. Focus on your improvement and try to learn how to better control your emotions."

Al lowered his head even lower, completely hiding behind the curtain of white hair. Shen thought it was a little harsh.