Picturing you (Xion)

I loved working at the old, kind of hidden drawing café at the corner of the street. We had the usual guests today, mostly some of the art students who treated this like their "secret hide out to release creativity". They all were very nice and so chill that sometimes I would sit down to draw as well. I wasn't as good as them but good enough to be better than most. I guess, if I would try and focus on this more, I could be pretty good. The problem was that I often lacked creativity.

I looked up as the door opened again. This guy was new. I never seen him here. I smiled to him: "What can I do for you?" He looked at me and said: "I am still contemplating." I nodded and lead him to a place to sit down, showed him where the drawing material was and then left again. He was sitting over there quite a while and I caught myself staring at him every now and then. I was so curious about what he would draw because even from over here I could figure that it was looking really good. He rarely had a request which made me a bit sulky because I wanted to see his picture closer.

When one of our regular guests showed up, I immediately them out if they would know him. Nobody did, but some promised to try and find out. My co-worker Sabrina nudged me as my thoughts trailed off again. "Customer coming", she whispered and nodded towards him. He indeed came over, smiling. "Sorry, Miss...", he began shyly. I immediately smiled back and before I knew it, I told him my name. Where did this come from? "Nice to meet you then. I am Dongju." Without an obvious reason, I blushed. Ok, get your act back together. I heard Sabrina chuckle behind me. "What can I do for you?", I asked with hopefully a bit more composure. He ordered two hot chocolates. I was confused – why two? "Are you waiting for someone else?", I asked casually and placed the cups in front of him. He shook his head and with a smirk answered: "You should take a break. I saw you pacing around here quite a lot and I think, you as well should just sit down and let your co-worker take over a bit more. Would you spare me only five minutes of your precious time?" I blushed again. Darn it. I looked over to Sabrina, but she nodded. "Thanks", I mouthed towards her and turned to Dongju. "I guess, I can", I smiled at him and he seemed pretty happy about it.

We talked for more than five minutes, but every time I looked back at my friend, she motioned be that it was ok. So, I relaxed and just enjoyed the chat. Dongju's picture was breath-taking. He was a real artist for sure. We laughed a lot together and I found out that he moved here a couple of weeks ago and one day discovered this café. Since drawing helped him to release the stress that built up because of moving, he wanted to come here since he saw it but only now found the time to do so. We talked and laughed until my shift was over. He accompanied me home and we exchanged numbers.

From then on, we often texted or even meet-up. Quite regularly he showed up to the café when I was on duty. Sabrina started to tease me about it, but honestly speaking I was absolutely fine with it. Actually, I started to fall for him a bit more every time I saw or heard his laugh, looked into his eyes or listened to his warm voice.

One day, he came in quite early and worked on a picture for almost five hours. I was so curious, but he had told me to not come over. He didn't want distraction. Internally, I had rolled my eyes at this. I wouldn't distract him anyways! Finally, he got up and the usual story began again: He ordered two hot chocolates and asked if I had the time to spare five minutes of my precious time. I asked Sabrina, she said she would tell me if she needed me and we went over to his table. This time he had hidden his picture. I desperately wanted to see it. Why make it such a mystery? He looked a bit shy as he pointed towards it and said: "You know, I tried something new. I... You told me you like to do that, so I wanted to challenge as well." I raised an eyebrow. What have I told him? "The thing you do... Imagining persons or things as other stuff. Books as candles, songs as jewellery, stuff like that." I grinned. Yeah, I did that and most of the people didn't get why, but I enjoyed it. "I picture a person as a flower this time", he continued. "Who?", I asked curiously. "You", he replied, barely audible.

Then he unveiled his picture. A red, rose-like flower artistically surrounded by lush leaves and some branches on a black background. He started to explain: "It is a camelia. A flower that looks like a rose, but more discreet and therefore to me even more special. It is versatile in its colours. And I think that suits you perfectly. See – You are beautiful like a rose. But you aren't showing it off in any ways. It's like your beauty is... quieter, I guess. More hidden than the beauty of the girls running around out there, trying to get the boy they like. You seem to not even be aware of your looks and to me that is more attractive than anything. You are more special and humbler than those others. And you are pretty versatile. Every time I talk to you it seems like I discover a new colour on you. And I love it." He still looked at the floor and went silent. I was deeply moved. Never had anyone done anything like this for me. I lifted his chin and looked into his eyes. "Thank you", I whispered, tears in my eyes, "I love it." He smiled and blushed. Then he leaned over to me and kissed me.