Girls vs. Boys - Chapter 14

Chapter 14

I grabbed Amy by the arm, “Come on, we only have 45 minutes until the dance,” I said.  She nodded and followed me.  I walked into the cabin, grabbing my dress and walking to the bathroom. 

“Lexi,” I stopped and turned around looking at Amy, “has Zach asked you to the dance?” 

“Now that I think of it, no, he hasn’t,” I said looking at the floor.  I turned back around heading to the bathroom shutting the door.  What if Zach asked Ruby to the dance?  What if I was just some toy to him?  What if… No stop it Lexi, quit saying ‘What if’, it will only get you all worked up, I told myself.  I slipped my new dress on. My dress was purple, around knee length, puffy at the bottom and strapless sparkle top with a purple ribbon and flower for a belt.  I opened the door and Amy was in her dress already, she must have changed in the other room.  She was wearing a pinkish peach, dress that as short in the front and long in the back, strapless and for a belt it was satin with silver sparkles around the edges.  She looked amazing in it, I have to say. 

“Where’s Summer?” I asked. 

Amy shrugged, “I didn’t see her at the talent show, and she said she would come.” 

Amy sounded sad, “Amy are you okay?” I asked. 

“Yeah I’m fine,” her voice cracking at the end.  I walked over to her, putting my arm around her, hugging her from the side. 

She wiped a couple tears away, “Do you think something happened to her?” 

“Amy, we have known Summer for a long time, she is tough,” I said. 

She nodded weakly, “We better get ready for the dance,” I said. 

She nodded again and walked towards the bathroom.  I followed her, helping her get rid of the puffiness around her eyes.  After finishing our makeup, I heard a knock on the door. 

I opened the door, “Hey guys,” I said to Chris and Will. 

“Will do you know where Summer is?” 

He looked at me in confusion, “She was with me this morning,” Will said. 

“One other question, have you seen Zack today?” I asked. 

They both shook their heads, “I only saw Zack during the talent show and then he disappeared,” Chris said. 

I sighed, “I’ll go get Amy,” I said.  I walked back to the bathroom, to see Amy in the corner huddled. 

I stood there a hand on my hip, “What are you doing?” I asked.  I walked over to her and grabbed her hand pulling her up. 

“What if he doesn’t think I look nice, what if he-“

I put my hand over her mouth, “He will love you I guarantee.”  That seemed to make her feel better because she grabbed her shoes and put them on, smiling at me. 

“I’ll meet up with you later,” hugging her I pushed her lightly to the door. 

“H-hi Chris,” I heard her say. 

Peeking my head around the corner I smiled.  Amy could be shy at moments and the next she could be bouncing off the walls.  Right now was one of her shy moments.  Once they left I came out from around the corner. 

“So, do you want to come in and wait or something?” I asked Will. 

“Sure,” he said, walking in standing awkwardly. 

Will and I sat there for 45 minutes before Summer came in. 

“Hey, sorry I’m late, I had to take care of some…business,” She said. 

Her hair had branches and leaves sticking out, her clothes had grass stains, and makeup was smeared.  We nodded, and she walked off to the bathroom starting the shower.

Amy

I felt bad leaving Lexi alone; I can’t believe Zack didn’t ask her. 

“What’s the matter?” Chris asked. 

I shook my head, “Nothing.” 

He stopped walking, pulling me to a stop, “Something’s wrong, you are never this glum,” he said. 

“It’s just that, I feel bad that Lexi is sitting in the cabin and Zack didn’t ask her to the dance,” I said. 

“Zack always pulls through in the end,” he said. 

“I know, but...” I started, “How about this, if Lexi doesn’t come to the dance within 40 minutes, we will go get her,” He said. 

I nodded, “Ok.” 

We started walking again, and into the dance.  It actually looked better than I expected.  The dance was just getting started; most of the committee is already here. I got greeted by most of them on the way in.  I made my way to the refreshments grabbing some mints and punch.  I found a table and sat down, waiting for the dance to start up. 

~~~~~~

It’s been 45 minutes, and Lexi still isn’t here.  Summer arrived around a half an hour ago. 

“I’m going to go get Lexi,” I said to Chris. 

He nodded and I walked out, towards our cabin.  Opening the door I saw Lexi, sleeping on her bed.  I walked over to her; her face was red and splotchy. 

I slowly shook her, “Hmmm,” she said. 

“Lexi, I came to get you so you can go to the dance,” I said. 

“I don’t want to go,” She said pulling the sheets over her head. 

“Come on Lexi,” I said pulling the sheets off her. 

She pulled them back up, and I pulled them off throwing them across the room. 

She sat up, “I don’t want to go,” she said. 

“Too bad, you’re going,” I said crossing my arms. 

She shook her head; I grabbed her arm dragging her to the bathroom.  Sitting her on the toilet I redid her makeup and fixed her hair.  Taking her shoes I put them on her feet and grabbed her arms pulling her up.  I dragged her through the cabin and out the door towards the dance.  Walking into the dance I spotted Chris and walked towards the table he was sitting at.  Still dragging Lexi behind me I led her to the table, sitting her in a chair. 

“Hey Lexi,” Chris said smiling.  She gave a weak smile, and nodded.  With that she flopped her face down on the table. 

This is going to be a long night.