Ch 22: Break In

~Kaito's pov~

My thoughts swayed back and forth while I tried to focus on making breakfast. The worry I feel when I think about Shuichi and his problems are immense. I was lost in reality when suddenly, a nasty stench reached my nose. 'My pancakes!'. I rushed up to the pan to find black pancakes. I groaned. My day started out with burned pancakes and I can't even eat it. I ate a toast and headed out the door. I checked my phone and it read, 8:00 AM. I'm gonna be late  to my workout with Shuichi and Maki. I hurried over to Shuichi's and contacted Maki on the way. I came up to the door and knocked.

"Come in" a male voice called out.

I opened the door and walked in. The living room had a TV positioned on the wall in front of the couch. Shuichi was drinking water and watching tv. He looked at me.

"I'll be ready in a minute, wait here" and with that he went to change.

I sat on the couch and changed the channel to a sports channel.

Shuichi came out a while later wearing a jacket with a tank top and loose pants. I stood up and headed for the door with Shuichi tailing behind me. I opened the door and took a deep breath. I started to walk towards the gym while making small talk with Shuichi. 

~Shuichi's pov~

We arrived at the gym and Maki was waiting for us. She gave us a weird look and went in.

"What was that?" I asked Kaito.

"Beats me" He replied.

We walked in. Inside there was a lot of equipment and weights. Kaito wasting no time, started stretching. I stretched as well and after a while I started to exercise. I lifted the weights and ran on the treadmill. I looked over at Maki and Kaito and my jaw dropped. They were lifting and exercising way more than me. I envied that. Afterwards I got pretty tired so I took a break and drank some water. After exercising, all of us took a shower and headed towards a nearby cafe. 

"I'll have a coffee, please" Kaito said to the waiter.

"I'll have a cup of tea" Maki said, not wanting to look at the waiter.

"I'll just have a cup of water" I said.

"Shuichi you ok?" Kaito asked, looking very concerned.

"I'm fine" I replied quickly as to not rise suspicion.

"Ok" He said, not looking convinced.

Our orders finally came and Kaito and Maki caught up and got lost in their conversation leaving me to my own thoughts. I got lost in my thoughts pretty quickly. I paid no attention to the two in front of me or their conversation. I fell asleep shortly after.

When I woke up, Kaito and Maki were staring at me. I looked away, trying to not make eye contact.

"Care to explain why you have been acting so weird?" Maki asked.

"it's nothing" I said, clutching my head.

"it's not nothing, you have been acting weird these past few days" Kaito raised his voice.

"I'm fine, I just haven't been sleeping" Well that wasn't a lie so that's good.

"But we all are still worried about you. Kaede asked us to watch out for you because she's worried too" Maki explained, trying to get me to open up.

"Well then tell her that I'm fine" I replied, coldly, while making eye contact. 

Maki flinched at my sudden coldness. Kaito noticing this, was trying really hard to keep his calm  demeanor. I noticed the awkward situation I got myself into so I stood up, took some money out of my wallet and placed it on the table. "That should be enough to pay for both of your drinks" I said. I turned around and started to walk away. After I was a fair distance away, I headed for the harbour. When I arrived, I sat down and took out my phone. There were plenty of messages from Kaede, Kaito and Maki but I decided to ignore them. I took out my cigarette and lit it. I took a puff. The relief I felt made all my stress go away. Nobody knows that I smoke, well mostly because I only smoke when I'm really stressed out. I took another puff and stared at the setting sun. I sighed. I looked down at my phone again. The messages I didn't read are starting to pile up. It's annoying me. I deleted them and put the phone down and paid attention to the cigarette I'm holding. After the sun set, I stood up and headed home. 

I arrived home shortly and looked at my house. My phone started to ring but I ignored it and entered. I turned the lights on and looked around. "Home sweet home" I whispered to no-one. I went in to my room and took off my shirt and throwing it into the laundry bin. I don't want anyone to realize I smoke, so I took a shower and freshened up. I put on some new clothes and laid down. I took out my phone and saw that I had 5 missed calls from Kaede. I smacked my forehead. 'I'm so stupid' I thought to myself. Just as I was about to call her, I heard glass shattering from the direction of my window. I turned around just in time to see a hooded man climb in to my room. He looked at me. I gulped. What does this  man want? Wait. I recognize him! He's the man who attacked me the other night.

"What are you doing here? After attacking, you wanted more?" I scowled at him.

"Don't be so cocky, kids like you shouldn't ask too many questions" The man said in a deep voice.

"Then what do you want?" I asked, rudely.

"To be prepared and don't stick your nose into our business or else there will be consequences" He said flashing me the knife on his belt.

I thought about it. If I say something wrong, I might end up dead. "Fine, but no promises" I replied, still being rude.

"Good I'll be going now" He said, turning away from me and heading for the window. He jumped out. I took a deep breath. Today has been very stressful. I headed to the kitchen and searched for something to eat. I saw some cup noodles in the back and took them out. Not expired yet, good. I prepared the noodles and sat down with my phone in my hand. I was gonna call Kaede earlier, better do it now. I called her. She picked up.

"Shuichi what were you doing?! I have been trying to call you for a long time now! Kaito and Maki told me you had left them and that they couldn't find you! I was worried sick!" She screamed at me from the other side of the phone.

"You don't have to worry I'm fine, after I left, I went to the harbour and watched the sun set. You know, the sunset was very nice today" I tried to reassure her.

"I don't care about the sun right now, I care about you and you are not ok" I was glad to hear that. Her words made me feel pretty happy and I couldn't help but smile.

"I told you I'm fine. You don't have to worry anymore" I told her.

"Still, at least tell me why you didn't reply to my calls and messages" She said.

"I wanted some peace and quiet, I didn't mean to make you worry" 

"Well you did make me worry. But I will let you go, only this time" She replied.

"Ok, love ya" I said, in hopes she will say it too.

"Love you too" She said it too. "Well I gotta go so I'll talk about this later, ok?"

"Ok, bye" I said and hung up.

I sighed. That was a difficult conversation to have. I stood up and put my cup in the trash. My gaze eventually landed on the knife on the table. 'Not today' I thought to myself and put the knife where it was. I went upstairs and got ready for bed. The voices in my head started their usual insults as soon as I laid down. I stared at the ceiling until I completely fell asleep.

A/N Sorry i'm late, i have been really lazy. hope you enjoy and and if you did please comment and vote, hope you all are good, have a good day. Bye!.