Chapter 26

The surprise Lisa has planned has been playing with her mind for most of the day.

During her classes she's had to have one of the students tug on her sweat pants to grab her attention, because her mind's been somewhere in space. Her feet have practically been tapping to a non existent beat because she's pretty damn excited and a shit-eating grin has been pasted on her face for the majority of the day.

Lisa's a romantic and if their relationship has been anything to go by so far, tonight will be amazing.

So when Chaeyoung's returns home to a note stuck to the front door, her heart starts beating rapidly and excitement sends a shudder through her body.

Great, now she's nervous.

Picking the note off the door, keys in hand, she scans over it quickly and just sees:

Kitchen – ‘L’
(p.s. don't turn on the lights)

scribbled on it in swirly writing. She's always loved Lisa's writing. It's like her girlfriend took a calligraphy class because her ‘L’s always have a perfect swirl at the bottom and each letter curves off with a precise flick of the pen. It's nothing to do with a calligraphy set or a class or whatever, Lisa's writing is just perfect. Just like Lisa.

Sliding the key into the lock, and pushing it open, she inhales deeply and notices the heavy scent of vanilla and honeycomb (maybe?) in the air.

Candles, she thinks.

Her keys drop to the side table and she narrows her eyes, noticing the dim glow coming from the kitchen down the small hallway and the darkness of the living room. Her nerves start tingling insistently as she kicks off her boots and makes her way towards the kitchen, clutching the hem of her t-shirt and worrying her bottom lip between her teeth.

"Lisa?" she calls out, switching to nibble at her top lip as she steps into the doorway of the kitchen.

Then there's Lisa, leaning over the kitchen table, lighting the last of the millions of candles darted around the room. None of the lights are on, not even the little side lamp in the corner of the room. Just pure candlelight. There's candles on the counter tops, on the table, on the shelves... They're everywhere and up until now, Chaeyoung never knew a kitchen could be such a romantic setting.

A gasp catches in her throat and she smiles, feeling her eyes lighten up as Lisa lifts her gaze to stare into Chaeyoung’s eyes. Lisa straightens up, places the matches beside the newly lit candle and walks over to Chaeyoung, grabbing her hands and swinging them between their bodies.

"Hi," Lisa breathes, nervousness etching across her face.

"Hi," Chaeyoung chuckles, eyes darting between melted chocolate orbs and the dinner table with plates and cutlery set out for two. This time she notices a pack of cards sitting in the center and furrows her brows. "Whatcha doing?"

"I just thought we could-" Lisa stutters, throwing a glance over her shoulder and back. "Seeing as we didn't have Valentines Da-," she hangs her head , shaking from side to side as a nervous chuckle escapes her lips. "This is totally corny, isn't it?"

Heart fluttering, Chaeyoung brings one of their hands up to tilt her girlfriend's head up. "No," she replies honestly. Because even though in movies when this happens, yeah, it's totally corny and cliché, this is ridiculously romantic and she may have just fallen a little bit more in love. "It's lovely."

"Really?" There's flashes of hope and excitement behind brown eyes. "You like it?"

Chaeyoung giggles and nods. "I love it."