Chapter six

Anika👆
Cassie's POV
"Hi Alex." I say, my voice cracking.

"Cass?" Alex said.

That's when the tears came. We hugged each other like our lives depended on it. Oh my god. My brother is alive. He's really alive.

Sam cleared his throat. When I looked at him his eyes were pitch black. I quickly pulled away from Alex and kissed Sam. he immediately relaxed.

"Can you guys not hug for that long?" Sam growled.

"I thought you were dead." I said to Alex.

"I had to run away dad was losing his mind and mom was already had her mind set on divorce. My friends helped me with my story that I died in a car accident. Sam also helped me. I'm so sorry Cass." Alex explained.

Then, a wave of anger flew over me. And I burst.

"Do you know how tough it was to think you were dead?! Right after you supposedly died, mom went crazy and left us. Dad beat me telling me it was my fault mom left.

If you were there things would've been better and dad wouldn't have beat me so much. You have no ideas how much I cried for you and mom. So apologizing won't help anymore! You could have stayed but you left. You left me alone with my psychopath father! How could you?!" I screamed.

"Babe calm down. Deep breaths. Breathe." Sam said worriedly.

"I need to go for a run" I mumbled and I ran out of the house.

While running I shifted.

'Anika?' I asked

'Right here' She replied.

'Can you take over while I think. I need to blow off some steam.'

'Sure'. Anika ran and I thought.

Why would my brother leave me? I mean, I know he was scared but I was terrified. Its not fair. All this thinking and I didn't sense the freaking rogue.

'My, my, my, what do we have here.' he said clicking his tongue.

'Sam?' I mind linked.

'What's wrong?' He asks with concern in his voice

'Um I'm talking to a rogue and I'm not strong enough to fight it so yeah.'

'F*ck. I'm on my way. Hold on!' Sam said before we stopped mind linking.

The rogue in its wolf form licked his lips.

'Anika please fight the most you can. I don't know how to fight in wolf form. I barely even have fighting practice at all.' I beg. 

'Okay. I'll try'

--Sam's POV--
I shouldn't have let her run off. So stupid. How could you Sam?!

I was running as fast as I could in my wolf form. I tracked Cassie's scent.

If anything happened to her I wouldn't be able to forgive myself. Suddenly I saw her. But Anika was in control.

Her eyes were purple and she kept snapping at the rogue.

'Step in! Help her!' Jax growled inside my head.

The rogue snorted and charged at her. He bit her neck and I growled loudly.

The rogue dropped her and snarled at me. I charged. I bit his neck and I threw him towards a tree. When he detached himself, half of the tree trunk was gone.

We fought for five minutes until I got a hold if his neck and snapped it in two. He will never hurt my mate again.

Holy shit Cassie!

I rushed over to her. The wound in her neck was already healing but she was weak. I shifted to my human form.

"Anika shift so I can look at your wounds."

Anika looked at me with pain in her eyes. I almost broke. She shifted and it was much worse than I thought. The wound came from her neck to her shoulder. I ran as fast as I could in my human form and rushed to the pack doctor.

The pack doctor set her on the medical bed and passed me boxers before she told me to leave. I put on the boxers and left.

I felt horrible. This is all my fault. I told her she wouldn't be hurt anymore.

Running a hand through my hair, I grit my teeth and exit the hospital. I went to the woods and started punching a tree.

"Fuck!" I yelled. Why can't I take better care of her? I'm a horrible mate.

'Sam. she's awake and she's looking for you. She needs you. She's very weak.' The pack doctor mind linked me.

'I'm going there now.' I mind linked back.

Wow. For a pack doctor she works fast. I go inside and search for Cassie. Tasha beckons me to her.

I half run, half jog, to Cassie's room. I look at her and my stomach drops.

Her neck has a bandage around it and so does her right shoulder. Her hand has a bandage too.

But what has me stopped is that she's pale. Dead pale. I grab her hand.

"I thought you said she was awake." I say as I sit down next to her.

"Alpha you need to stay with her. She'll heal faster that way." Tasha (pack doctor) says.

I cup Cassie's face with my other hand. She shouldn't be this cold.

"I-I'm sorry I can't do this." I say as I run out of the hospital. Pain hits my chest and I shut my eyes tightly.

I shift outside and I run. Over stones, logs, kicking dirt. I'm a good 3 miles away from the pack when I collapse and whine.

I paw at the ground and whine. A couple tears escape my eyes. Darkness consumes me.

••••••Next day••••••
I wake up. What the f*ck? Where am I? Why don't I have clothes on? I hope I didn't end up f*cking anyone?

Then I remember. Alex, Cassie, the bite, the run. I guess I blacked out because I was too tired.

Crap! Cassie!

I shift again and run back as fast as I can. Please. Please. Tell me she is alive.

I reach the pack doctor and grab a pair of boxers, putting them on quickly.

"Tasha, I'm so sorry. How is she?"

"She's awake and alive"

It takes me a minute to process this. When I do, I run past Tasha and into Cassie's room.