chapter 19

🕊🕊🤍🤍

They were in Zanzibar for three weeks and were recovering well from their grief. Even if their sunshine was no more, they still had another reason to smile, they had to let go and move on, life did move on if one let it, they believed it was a trial from God as good believers.

"When I die Afrah I want you to continue with the Hamidallah charity foundation." "When you die, Why are you sick?" "No, but it is inevitable."  "What are you talking about, I don't ever think about you dying, and if God is good I want him to take me before you..." "No, Afrah how can you say such a thing..."  "Cause I can't imagine how my world would be without you in it. You know what? you are never going to die..."

Khalil let out a mirthless laugh. "Every soul shall taste death Afrah."  "I know Khalil, but I did not come to Zanzibar for you to talk to me about death."
"You know death is so final and unknowable we always have to be prepared to meet our Lord in a good state,so one day when I die don't come close to me cause I won't be able to wipe your tears." "We are done talking about this."  She was so upset and went outside and laid on the beach lounger in their private resort. Khalil came to her, he bit her toenail. Afrah felt the tingling sensation but she looked away. "I am sorry my love."  He hovered over her.
"K, I thought we came here to forget all about our woes and here we are talking about death, I am afraid, I never want to experience death again."
"It is alright Afrah no more talk about death, let's  bask in our glory and shine together like the sun that shone this morning." "Exactly, what I want now is a drink and you all over me."  "Am on it love he kissed her cheek and went to their ensuite in no time he came with two glasses of fine wine.

🌻🌻🌻🌻
They had returned from their trip a week ago and so they decided to go on a rendezvous. As Afrah was returning to work the next day, they might not have the time to do it often.

He placed a lingering kiss on her lip, tipping her chin up; "I will be right back love." She watched  as he crossed the road to get to the store. Sheer happiness surged through her as she saw him holding a bouquet of sunflowers. Her heart fluttered with love and appreciation. Khalil was smilingly walking toward her, just seven steps away from her, a car came out of nowhere with full speed, Afrah saw the car and screamed.
"KHALIL."
But it was too late Khalil only felt lifted and the last thing he heard was her scream before everywhere suddenly became bleak. The memory of what followed next was horrifyingly vivid, the explosion of the airbag,  the scream of torture, metal and shattering glass.

Stark terror sharpened her senses as she got out of the car and fell on her knees bringing Khalil's bloody and lifeless body to her heart, people gathered to the scene it happened so fast like the speed of light, the person who caused the accident died on the spot, it turned out that he was drunk.
He was taken to the hospital, her body was sticky and wet with Khalil's blood all over, the bouquet of sunflower was soaked in Khalil's blood beside her.

"Mrs Mohammad, can you hear me? we are taking him to the emergency room right now.." She only reacted by nodding. For one breathless moment, she watched him from the window as they performed surgery on him with various machines monitoring his every vital statistic. People passed by whispering their greetings but she didn't hear them. She slid down on the floor and burst into flames...
Soon family members began calling her phone and Khalil's phone but she couldn't answer the calls she only picked with jittery fingers when his father called. "Afrah where are you right now?" "We are at the National hospital dad."

"I am going to need you to calm down okay, we will be there soon." "Okay, dad." Afrah paced to and fro the hall in dread and anticipation, her body still trembling in fear, praying with her whole heart, her lips were moving in silent plea praying for the health of her husband.