chapter 26

Afrah took a pregnancy test  while waiting in anticipation,  two pink lines showed on the stick shortly after, dispelling her uncertainties. Her fingers trembled, her lips pursed, and her eyes became clouded with tears.  A baby, her baby, Aj's baby.  In the moments that followed she became a ball of anxiety,  joy, excitement, and even fear evoked her.  It was a tremendous moment and an amazing feeling. She thanked her lord  looking  up smilingly.
The news had to be released immediately. She grabbed her phone and was about to text Aj when an idea crossed her mind and she decided to surprise him.

To settle into their marriage, and make more memories as a couple, and learn more about their quirks, they decided to wait a year before having children. Even though it hadn't been a year yet, she thought they were more than ready to start a family now.  She was confident that Aj would be overjoyed, and she wanted to see the look in his eyes and mentally capture it forever in her heart.

She made the mocktail she had been craving for days, now she knew why.  She made an order for pizza, cake, glazed doughnuts, and shawarma to settle all her cravings at the moment. She touched her smooth stomach lightly, and she grinned. She felt strange because she had forgotten the feeling of being pregnant for a very long while.

*****
After offering his salaam, Aj entered the house and enthusiastically sang, "The only one fish in my aquarium."  Afrah quickly left the room to see her very happy husband, like he felt something was up.
"What is up with you, this one that you are happy like this?"  She said, collecting the stuff he was holding and placing a soft kiss on his lips. "What is better than coming home to meet my beautiful wife, after having a stressful day, and are you wearing my boxers?" Aj gave her a perplexed look.  "You look hot in it though." Aj's eyes teased and swept over her body. "Everything I wear is always hot to you, freshen up, so that we can eat."

To refresh up, he headed to his room. A  piece of paper on the bed caught his eye but he did not bother about it . Afrah entered just as she realized he hadn't read the note, or else he would have screamed. 
"Guess who is going to be a father?" Afrah asked as she couldn't hold it anymore.

"I would have said me, but it seems just like an easy answer wait, what?" Aj's mouth hung open, and his eyes widened. He then sat on the bed and read the note. There was some pause and consideration, and then a heated tear began to fall from his eyes. With her hand around his neck, Afrah sat on his lap. Then the sobs came easily.
"I'm speechless. Afs, you have no idea how happy you have made me, I'm going to be a father?" "You are, indeed." Afrah smiled broadly as she nodded.  He hugged her. She pulled apart saying after the prolonged, bone-crushing hug. "Consider taking it easy on the baby."

"Hold on, you're wearing your pregnant AF top, I should have known better, since I have kind of suspected you are pregnant for days now."    She showed him the pregnancy test and he became sober again.  "It's unbelievable. I had given up on everything before I met you, Afs, but you gave me a new perspective on things and gave me something to hope for. Now, my love, you are giving me the greatest gift of all: life. I've only ever dreamed of being a father, but now my dreams have become a reality. I love you, Afrah, and I'm so grateful."  As he talked, he gripped her face on all sides. Then, with his eyes set on her lips, he kissed her slowly and passionately.

The entrance door rang. And it was the courier. When Aj saw all that Afrah ordered he was shocked.  "Holy guacamole, all of these." He made a fingered point.  "Yes, I thought it would be nice for you to put on a few pounds over the next nine months, as well."

Aj's heart melted when he opened the cake box and saw what was inside. 'Coming soon baby Layla, every hero needs a backup.'

"If you cry again, I'm going to scream, I swear to God," Afrah said jokingly.
"I'm so happy I can't even control myself; it's just so sweet, I feel great."
"When I start bothering you with the strange things I want, you will know it is not sweet." She teased.