= 23: safe & sound =

Hueningkai

I paced back and forth anxiously, looking at the time. Suddenly, Taehyun trudged inside, dragging his feet behind him and clutching his arm. Worriedly, I looked up at him and rushed over.

"Taehyun!" I exclaimed, running over to him, "Where the heck have you been? I got back from work hours ago and I got worried when I saw you weren't home—"

"I'm sorry, I had to go take care of something," Taehyun sighed, slumping on the couch, and looked up at me, "How was work?"

"It was boring, nothing really happened," I shrugged, sitting down next to him, "But where the heck were you? And what happened?"

"O-Oh well— I uh—" Taehyun faltered, tripping over his words, "Just business I had to take care of, that's all. A-And um—"

He sighed, resting his hands on his knees, "I-I need to come clean with you. If you want to leave me, that's fine, I understand."

I stayed quiet, and nodded.

"What is it you wanted to tell me?"

Taehyun hesitated, clenching his fists tightly.

"I-I'm a horrible person, I did so many bad things in the past and I've messed up things with Yeonjun," He uttered out, "There's just nothing to undo everything, it's my fault that I ended up this way."

I could hear his voice tremble, as he closed his eyes. Quietly, I propped my elbow on the side of the couch and looked at him solemnly.

"I never wanted tell you because I was scared you'd leave me," Taehyun breathed, "I messed up so badly— Yeonjun's probably really angry with me for getting his dragon almost killed... or maybe Beomgyu's already a goner."

I furrowed my brow, glancing over at him.

"Beomgyu's— what?" I asked in a quiet voice. Taehyun leaned back on the couch, his face buried in his hands.

"Lots of people are probably angry with me—" He went on, "Yeosang... Yeonjun... Everyone. And you too probably, I'm sorry I just—... I just couldn't tell you."

"Taehyun hey— it's alright..." I consoled, putting my hand on his shoulder, "I'm not mad, I know you're a better person now than you were before."

He looked up from his hands and at me sorrowfully. He sighed deeply, resting his hands on his knees.

"I'm sorry I never told you before Hueningkai," Taehyun mumbled, looking me in the eyes, "I'm so sorry... I wish I could be someone better for you but— I can't."

"It's fine... It doesn't matter. I still like you the way you are," I consoled.

"But—... you still need to apologize to Yeonjun," I sighed, "He's probably in shambles right now.. Even if sorry won't do anything, it's better than saying nothing."

He nodded, and smiled at me. Tiredly he rubbed his eyes, slumping back on the couch and sighed a breath of relief.

"I know, I know, I'm sorry," Taehyun mumbled, "I'll see if he'll let me come over later, but I should just give him some time alone for now... I hope Beomgyu's okay."

"Me too," I added, and nudged him playfully, "And stop apologizing to me, it's not me you need to say sorry to anyway."

"But I lied to you for all this time and—"

"Yeah, I know," I replied, "But you already apologized one time and that's enough for me. Just—... Please don't lie to me like that in the future, okay?"

Taehyun nodded solemnly, leaning his head on my shoulder.

-------X.☾☁☽.X-------

Three days later...

==
Yeonjun

A couple days later, I sat on the couch quietly with my laptop, Beomgyu resting his head on the pillow nearby. I propped my feet up on the coffee table, resting my cheek in my palm.

Every now and then, I'd notice Beomgyu moving slightly. His hand twitched slightly, moving underneath the pillow. I smiled a little, happy to know he was alive. I reached over, adjusting the blanket around him again when he suddenly pushed the blanket away weakly.

I snickered, pulling the blanket away and heard him mumble under his breath.

"Beomgyu?" I gave him a little nudge again, Beomgyu flinching when I poked him with my finger.

"Stop that," I heard him murmur.

My heart raced with joy with a mix of relief rushing over me. He groggily opened his eyes, turning his head to look at me. I quickly set my laptop aside, shutting it, and put my feet off the coffee table.

"Beomgyu! You're okay!" I exclaimed, unable to hide my joy. I scooted over to him, kneeling down so our eyes could meet. He mumbled under his breath, rubbing his eyes tiredly and sitting up on the couch.

"Hey! How are you feeling?" I asked sweetly, running a hand through his hair. He snickered at me, and gently moved my hand aside.

"I'm fine, what about you though?" He asked quietly, "And what abou—"

Impulsively, I couldn't hold back my happiness and I engulfed him in a tight hug before he could finish his sentence. His eyes widened with shock, as he slowly hugged me back.

"Do you have any idea how worried I was about you?" I cried, burying my face in his shoulder.

"Ack, you're choking me!" Beomgyu whined, pushing me away. I let him go, and sighed.

"Sorry, I got a little too excited," I mumbled, scratching the back of my head. Beomgyu giggled, resting his head on my shoulder.

"I missed you," I sighed, "I was worried that you weren't going to wake up... I'm just glad you're okay."

Beomgyu smiled at me warmly, "You missed me?"

"I lot... actually," I admitted with a laugh, "You really scared me back there... I'm glad you're feeling okay."

"But what about you?" He worried, looking around, "Did you make it back here okay?"

"Don't worry about me," I dismissed, "I was more worried about you, to be honest."

Beomgyu hummed in response, the two of us staying quiet for some time before he rested his head on my shoulder and quietly reached for my hand, our fingers intertwining. 

"Tell you what," I said softly, "How about you change into some new clothes, and we could build another fort?"

He looked up at me with a sparkle in his eyes, and a slight smile on his face.

"That sounds fun," He said quietly, and nodded eagerly.

Shakily, he stumbled up from the couch and excitedly hurried off.