XIII

"I'm sorry."

She looked up at me and we stayed there staring at each other. I had my hands shoved in my pockets as I looked back at her. This was so uncomfortable. I was becoming impatient, but I refrained from saying anything because that would ruined the apology. The very lame apology.

"Do you even know what you're apologizing for?" she asked, breaking the silence between us.

I racked my brain for an answer, but nothing popped up, "No, but that's because I don't have to apologize for anything. I wasn't at fault."

And my impulsive self ruined it.

"Wow, thanks for the apology," she said sarcastically and rolled her eyes while standing up with her tray.

"Do you know how rare it is for me to apologize? It's very rare, but here I am, apologizing because you're so angry at me for what, I don't even know. So can you tell me what I'm apologizing for because I have no idea," Everything burst out of my mouth. All I wanted to do was just stop her from leaving. Well, this will have to do.

She had her back turned to me so I didn't know what her reaction was. I have a feeling that it wasn't going to be very good.

She sighed and turned around, "You're right."

"Um, what?" I chuckled, "Did you just say I'm right?"

"Don't expect me to apologize," she glared, "I rarely apologize."

A smile formed on my lips, "That's understandable."

She continued to glare at me and I continued to smile at her. Then she lost the glare and a small smile made its way to her lips.

"Have you talked to Douglas?" she asked and sat back down.

"We talked yesterday and I cleared up the misunderstanding," I answered.

"What misunderstanding?" she questioned.

"That the guy in the hospital is my brother," I revealed to her.

It took several seconds for her to react.

"Your brother?" she put a hand to her mouth in shock, her eyes widened, "I'm so sorry!"

I smirked, "I thought it was rare for you to apologize."

She pulled her hand away from her mouth to slap my hand, "I thought your brother, who is in the hospital by the way, was your boyfriend. Of course, I'm going to apologize for that."

I dropped my smile, and looked down at my hands, "Yeah."

"What happened?" she asked softly.

"Long story short, we were in an accident and he has been in a coma for two years. Eric's and Jenny's dad died in the accident. Miraculously, I lived, " I told her.

"Is that why they hate you? Because you lived?" she frowned.

"No," I sighed, "They hate me because my dad was their dad's doctor. And they blame my brother for colliding his car with their dad's even though it was because of black ice."

"That's absurd," she exclaimed, "You don't blame yourself though, right?"

"No," I answered, looking at her like she was crazy, "But I don't blame them for thinking that way."

"I still think it's absurd."

I laughed, "I know."

"I'm going to tell you something and just don't freak out when I do."

I nodded and looked at her skeptically.

She took a deep breath and released it, "I was almost sexually assaulted a year ago."

My mouth dropped open and I stared at her with huge eyes.

She continued, "It was at a party, and I got away before he could do anything. I had to be in therapy for a few months."

"Why are you telling me this?" I interrupted.

She sighed, "Just wait."

I allowed her to continue.

"The night you came to pick me up from the party, some guy forced himself on me there. Eric came in at the right moment and beat up the guy into unconsciousness. I had to beg him to stop or else he would have killed the guy."

That sounds like Eric.

"Then the day before I snapped at you, Eric and I-we-"

"I get the idea," I stopped her before she could say it.

"He kept on trying to apologize, and I was angry at him for thinking that I was so fragile. I mean, it was a mistake. He clearly regretted it."

"You like him," I smirked.

"What? No I don't," she denied, but the tone of her voice said otherwise.

The bell rung and we both stood up.

"You like him. Don't deny it," I grinned and walked away before she could deny it again.

As I walked out of the cafeteria, I bumped into Jenny. She opened her mouth to snap at me, but stopped herself when she saw it was me.

"Jenny," I called out to her when she was about to walk away. She stopped.

"I don't hate you," I told her.

"I know," she replied and walked away without another word.