XIV

"This is all your fault!" I exclaimed.

He sat up and his frown deepened, "My fault? What did I do?"

"I don't know," I groaned and smack my palm against the elevator walls, "I'm hungry and when I'm hungry, I'm grumpy. When I'm grumpy, I become angry. After that is unpredictable."

"What do you mean by unpredictable?" he raised an eyebrow.

"You'll see," I smiled evilly.

He gulped and pressed the button. There was the crackling sound and after that a beep.

"You need to get us out of here," Douglas pleaded, "I think she wants to eat me."

"We are trying our best. We'll get you out in no time," the chief tried to reassure us.

Douglas took a seat that was the furthest away from me.

"Stay away from me," he warned.

I rolled my eyes, "Oh, bite me."

3 Hours Ago

"My anaconda don't want none unless you got buns Hun," Douglas sang as he sat down across from me.

"What the hell are you singing?" I looked at him weirdly.

"Anaconda by Nicki Minaj," he answered and pulled out his phone with earphones dangling from it, "Here."

I put the earplug in my ear and instantly heard the utmost ridiculous song ever. I couldn't help but laugh at the lyrics and how the beat matched it.

"This is horrible," I told him while still laughing.

"But it's catchy," he added and shoved his phone back in his pocket.

"What kind of artists are you into?" he asked.

"Um, Imagine Dragons, Misterwives, The 1975. Those kind of people," I answered his question.

"Do you have a guilty pleasure?"

I lied, "No."

"You are a horrible liar!" he laughed.

"Shut up," I mumbled.

"Lets make a deal. I'll tell you my guilty pleasure, and you'll tell me yours," he held up his hand for me to shake on the deal.

I pondered over it for a few minutes, and then I took the deal. We shook hands.

"Don't laugh," he looked at me sternly. I shrugged and allowed a smirk to form on my lips. He rubbed his hands together and exhaled, "Grey's Anatomy."

I couldn't help it. A laugh burst out of my mouth, and I tried to cover it with my hands but to no avail.

"I told you not to laugh!" he exclaimed, his face becoming red from embarrassment.

My laugh slowly came to a stop, "If it makes you feel any better, I like the show too."

"How ironic," he grumbled and crossed his arms over his chest, "Your turn."

The smile dropped from my face, and I could feel my face heat up. He noticed my discomfort and a smirk rose on his lips. I just wanted to slap that smirk off his face.

"1989," I muttered.

"What?" he asked and leaned closer to hear.

"1989," I repeated but a little bit louder this time. It took him a while to progress what it meant, but then the lightbulb above his head switched on.

"No way!" he exclaimed, "I can't believe you like Taylor Swift!"

"Shut up!" I slapped his arm.

"Ow!" he winced and rubbed his arm. Then he grinned.

"You better not tell anyone about this," I glared at him.

He leaned his face closer to mine, and my breath got caught in my throat. My heart thumped very fast because of the close proximity.

"If you kiss me here," he pointed to his lips and his eyes went down to look at my lips, "Then I won't tell a soul."

I couldn't wait any longer and pushed my lips against his. Although it was a quick kiss, it was also passionate and felt like any other kiss he and I have exchanged with each other.

"I-I'm going to go back up to my brother," I told him.

He gently put a strand of my hair behind my ear, "I'll come with you."

He slung an arm over my shoulders as we walked over to the elevator. When we were waiting for the doors to open, I looked up at him and he looked down at me. I leaned my head onto his arm, and he smiled. The doors opened and we stepped into the empty elevator.

Then my luck ran out. The elevator suddenly stopped.

"So we're stuck in an elevator," Douglas stated.

I facepalmed myself, "Today is not my day."

"There is a pro to this," his voice became low and husky.

"And what is that?" I stood in front of him and put a hand on my hip.

"It's just the two of us," he pushed me against the elevator wall and our lips were touching again. His hands fell to my hips, and he pulled me closer to him. His lips tasted like mint, and the smell of his cologne became stronger. His kiss wandered down to my neck, leaving deep and lingering kisses. As he nibbled on my neck, I arched my neck backwards while running my fingers through his hair. Then his lips traveled back to mine.

"This is Dr. Carter. Is anyone in the elevator?" A voice asked inside the elevator, making us break the kiss. I looked upwards to see a speaker attached to the elevator wall.

Douglas pressed a button that said Emergency.

"Yeah, it's Douglas and Aimee is here with me," he answered back then he let go of the button.

"Aimee Evans?" the man asked.

Douglas looked over at me and I looked away. He pressed the button, "Yeah, Aimee Evans. Look, how long is this going to take?"

"It should be about 1 or 2 hours hopefully," he answered.

"That's not very reassuring," Douglas muttered and sat down. I sat down next to him and grabbed his hand.

Present Time

"So are we a couple?" Douglas asked as we lied next to each other.

I tensed up.

He noticed and sat up, "Is there something wrong?"

I sat up and leaned my back against the elevator walls, "I don't know."

"Well you like me, don't you?" he asked.

"Yes b-"

He cut me off, "Then there's your answer!"

I glared at him, "It's not that simple."

He threw his head back and groaned, "Why do you have to make it so complicated?"

I stood up and he did also. We were glaring at each other. The nice comfort we felt with each other had dissolved completely and the air around us felt thick.

"I don't want it to be complicated. I just don't know if I want to be in a relationship. I don't know if I want to commit myself to another human being," I explained my feelings to him, but he still didn't understand.

"I'm not asking you to marry me, Aimee," he argued, "I'm asking you to be my girlfriend because I like you. Damn it, why are you so hellbent on being alone?"

"I'm just not ready, so can we drop it?" I snapped.

He backed me against the wall and put his hands on the wall, trapping me between his arms. His eyes turned a darker shade of blue.

"I'm done," he whispered harshly in my ear.

Then the elevator doors opened. His eyes lingered on mine for a few more seconds and he left me standing there in the elevator. I stared at his back as he walked away. The elevator doors closed and that's when I collapsed.