XXXI

"I hate you," I muttered when I felt my throat itch. "Fuck."

I let out a fit of coughs and moaned when it ended.

Douglas laughed quietly at my pain, and I glared at him.

"This is all your fault," I mumbled and snuggled deep into my blanket.

He chuckled. "And how is it my fault?"

"Because you had to confess your love for me in the rain, and we spent an hour and a half making out, which was also in the rain," I answered bluntly.

Then my nose itched, and after a few seconds I let out a loud sneeze. Douglas burst into laughter, and I pouted.

"I hate you," I muttered again.

His laughter faded away, and he planted a kiss on my lips. "You love me."

"Not anymore," I muttered.

He grinned. "I love you."

My heart pounded in my chest, and I smiled. "I love you."

The words flowed out of my mouth easily when I said it to him. It felt comfortable and right.

He lifted my blanket and climbed into the bed next to me.

I scooted away and looked at him in bewilderment. "Douglas, what are you doing? You're going to get yourself sick."

He wrapped an arm around my body and pulled me closer to him. A smile played on his lips and he leaned his lips closer to mine. My breath got caught in my throat and I found myself staring at his lips.

"Then I'll get sick," he whispered.

He pressed his lips to mine and I closed my eyes. His lips were soft and chapped. I detect a minty flavor.

I pulled away to playfully glare at him. "Well, if you get sick, just remember that I warned you."

He chuckled and I laid my head on his chest. He played with my hair as I listened to his breathing and his heart beating.

"You know, with all the crazy dramas we dealt with, we never had much time to talk and really get to know each other," Douglas suddenly said.

I thought about it and realized he was right. I didn't know that much about him except his favorite show is Grey's Anatomy and the problems he has with his parents.

I lifted my head up to look at him. "You're right."

"Well, tell me something else about you, Taylor Swift lover." He laughed when I glared at him.

"I love to read," I started. He glanced over at my book shelf and said, "I've noticed."

I rolled my eyes and he chuckled. "Um, I like to sing sometimes. My favorite show is Grey's Anatomy. I don't really know what I want to do when I graduate. I've been thinking a lot about becoming a doctor, a neurosurgeon. I guess I want to help other people who went through what my brother and Mr. Lander went through."

He smiled. "You're really awesome, you know?"

I shrugged. "I know."

He laughed and I smiled.

"It's your turn," I told him.

He inhaled. "Okay. I want to be a pediatrician. I love to sing. My favorite food is philly cheesesteak. I can't live without it. Also, I am completely and utterly in love with a girl."

I smirked knowingly. "Oh, and what is this girl's name?"

He sighed dramatically. "Her name is Cassandra."

I gasped and slapped his chest. He burst out laughing and I rolled away from him.

"Aw, I was just kidding Aimes," he said.

I gave him a look. "Aimes?"

He nodded. "Yes Aimes, or do you prefer TSL?"

I furrowed my eyebrows. "What's TSL?"

He smirked. "Taylor Swift Lover."

"I don't really like you," I grumbled.

He laughed. "That's because you love me."

My phone rang, and I answered it.

"Aimee?"

I sat up when I heard her sniff.

"Rose? What's up?" I gently asked.

She let out a sob, and I felt my heart clenched. "He cheated on me."

I looked over at Douglas, who was looking at me worriedly. "Where are you?" I asked.

She sniffed again before answering. "My house."

"I'll be there in 15 minutes, okay?"

"Okay," she weakly answered before hanging up.

I got up from the bed and Douglas stood up as well. I grabbed my keys and my phone.

"What happened?" Douglas asked.

"She said Eric cheated on her," I carefully answered.

He sighed and ruffled his hair. "I'll take you there. You're in no condition to drive."

I scoffed. "I can drive."

"No arguing. Now lets go." He grabbed the keys out of my hands before dashing out of my bedroom to throw it on the kitchen table. I rolled my eyes, and followed him out of the house.

"So where to?" he asked.

"Your house," I answered.

He nodded before starting the car. The radio was playing softly in the car. I looked out the window, and tried to comprehend what had happened. Eric loves Rose. He worked so hard to earn her trust and her love. There's no reason for him to throw that away for someone else. It doesn't make any sense. The car slowly came to a stop in front their house.

Douglas leaned over to plant a kiss on my forehead and I smiled. I exited the car, and walked up to the front door. Before I could knock on the door, the door was slung open and revealed a messy Rose. There was a frown on her face, and it was very rare for Rose to frown. More tears flowed down her cheek, and I immediately wrapped my arms around her.

"It hurts!" she sobbed.

I didn't say anything and let her cry it out. Deep in my heart, I was hurting because she was hurting too. I haven't felt that in a long time.