XXX

"Douglas," I called out his name as I neared him. He didn't turn around or act like he heard me.

He was sitting on the grass, in front of the pond. His back was facing me, so I couldn't see his face. 5 crushed cans of beer were scattered around him. That's not good.

"Douglas," I called his name again as I reached him.

He remained unmoving.

I let out an irritated breath. "I know that you're upset, but that doesn't give you the right to go hide here and have your sister worry about you."

"It's a free country," he retorted monotonously.

"What is wrong with you? Rose is pacing around worrying about you, and you don't even give a shit? Ella was just in the hospital and you don't even go to see her? Do y-"

He stood up so fast that I staggered back a few steps. I was taken aback by his face. Heavy bags hung under his reddened eyes, his hair was heavily disheveled, his face was stained with tears, and his jaw was locked shut as he glared at me.

"I am not up for your lectures right now," he said in a voice that was deep and raspy. If I wasn't so annoyed with him right now, I would have thought it sounded downright sexy.

I scoffed. "My lectures? If you weren't being such an asshole right now, you wouldn't be receiving my 'lectures'."

He closed his eyes and let out a long sigh before opening up his eyes again. "Aimee, please just go."

Then he sat back down and stared out at the pond. I followed his eyes and saw a black device in the water. His phone. No wonder.

I sighed and sat down next to him, my legs criss-crossed apple sauce. I glanced over at his face. "I'm not leaving you here alone."

"I'm an emotional train wreck right now," he stated.

"I know," I replied.

"I could start crying any moment now."

"I know."

"You would have to comfort me because it's the common moral thing to do."

"I know."

"I already feel like crying."

"I'm here for you."

"I know."

He looked up at the sky and let out a shaky breath. "Fuck, it's my fault. I shouldn't have left her alone with them. If they were paying attention, they would have known that she ate those goddamn strawberries and that she had collapsed on the kitchen floor. I should have known better than to leave Ella at home alone."

His bit into his fist and closed his eyes tightly together. For some reason, I felt my heart ached from seeing him in pain. I laid a hand on his shoulder and then he let it all out. He let out a quiet cry and buried his face into my collarbone. I wrapped my arms around him and hugged him tightly. He only cried for a few minutes before pulling away. He stared at the grass with a blank look.

"I don't want to lose you," he said and looked at me with so much intensity in his eyes.

"I don't want to lose you either," I replied quietly.

He looked out at the river. "I called you. After I took Ella to the hospital, I called and texted you several times, but you never answered me. Were you too busy for me?"

I immediately frowned. "W-"

"I think you should go," he said, still not looking at me.

"Douglas, I-"