XXVI

I stared at the red dress in front of me. It was a short, simple, dress. Not too fancy but not too casual either. Butterflies erupted in my stomach and I groaned while throwing myself on the bed.

I did not want to perform.

I've never sang around anyone before, so how am I going to sing in front of half the school's population?

I grabbed my phone and scrolled down the contact list. I stopped at Mom and my thumb hovered over her name. Shaking my head, I pressed her name and pressed the green call button. It rang several times before going to voice mail, just like I expected.

"Hi Mom, it's me Aimee. I wanted to tell you that I'm performing at my high school tonight, and I was hoping that you and Dad could come and watch. It's at 8 in the auditorium."

After sending the message, I let out a huge sigh and got up. I did my hair, makeup, and put on the dress. My phone rang, signaling me that someone just sent a text. It was probably Douglas.

I grabbed my phone and walked downstairs. I opened the front door and saw Douglas standing at my doorstep. My breath got caught in my throat.

Douglas was wearing a grey dress shirt, black vest, and a black tie. His usual tousled hair was pushed back. Wow, he was handsome.

I met his eyes, but he wasn't looking at my face. No, his wide eyes roamed down my body.

"See something you like?" I snapped him out his staring.

His eyes met mine and a blush creeped up to his face.

"Yes- I mean no- wait, I mean yes," he closed his eyes and sighed. Then he opened his eyes and smiled, "What I meant to say was you look beautiful."

This time I blushed and he smirked.

"Thank you," I said quietly.

He held up his hand for me to take, "Shall we?"

I smiled and took his hand, "We shall."

He looped our arms together, and we both walked to his car. We arrived at the school 10 minutes before the talent show began. The auditorium was full and that made me even more nervous. I took a peek from behind the curtain. My eyes scanned auditorium for two familiar faces, but they were nowhere to be found. I figured as much.

The first performer went up stage with an electric violin. Douglas and I were the fourth act. Douglas was tuning his guitar when I walked over to him. He looked up at me and a smile immediately formed on his lips. I smiled too.

"You ready?" he asked.

The people clapped when the first performer finished.

"No," I laughed nervously, "I'm not ready. I've never sang in front of anyone before, Douglas. I don't think I can do this. I can't do this."

I could feel my chest constricting and panic rising. I wasn't ready. I needed to leave.

Douglas set down his guitar and took a hold of my shoulders.

"You, Aimee Evans, can do anything. You have a beautiful voice, and you are a beautiful person. Those people are going to love you. How can they not?" he chuckled at his last sentence and then he was serious again, "Do you trust me?"

I looked deep into his eyes and nodded, "I trust you."

A grin spread on his face, "Then trust me when I say you can do this."

"Okay," I whispered.

Why did I ever pushed him away? How could I push someone like him away? Someone so genuine, loving, and kind. Then my heart stopped, just for a second it stopped, when I realized something. I l-

"Our next performers are Aimee and Douglas. Tonight, they will perform Give Me Love by Ed Sheeran."

I closed my eyes and breathed out nervously. I can do this.

"You're going to be great," Douglas whispered in my ear and I reopened my eyes.

He kissed my cheek and walked over to the stairs that lead to the stage. His kiss lingered on my cheek and I smiled. I followed him and now we were standing in front of the audience.

I can do this.

We both sat down on the two stools in front of the microphone. Douglas strummed his guitar and I felt a calm feeling washed over me.

"Give me love like her," he began, "Cause lately I've been waking up alone."

His voice brought me back to when I first heard him sing. I was mesmerized by his voice.

"Paint splattered teardrops on my shirt. Told you I'd let them go. And that I'll fight my corner. Maybe tonight I'll call ya. After my blood turns into alcohol. No, I just wanna hold ya."

I joined him, "Give a little time to me or burn this out. We'll play hide and seek to turn this around. All I want is the taste that your lips allow."

His eyes met mine as we continued to sing together, "My, my, my, my, oh give me love. My, my, my, my, oh give me love. My, my, my, my, oh give me love. My, my, my, my, oh give me love. My, my, my, my, oh give me love.

It was my turn. I looked out at the audience. My heart was beating out of my chest.

"Give me love like never before. Cause lately I've been craving more," I sang, "And it's been a while but I still feel the same. Maybe I should let you go. You know I'll fight my corner. And that tonight I'll call ya. After my blood is drowning in alcohol. No I just wanna hold ya.

My eyes met Douglas's again and he was smiling at me. When we finished the song, everyone stood up and cheered. I laughed and Douglas pulled me into a hug.

"I told you, you could do it," he whispered.

"Thank you," I whispered.

We walked off the stage and went back behind the curtain. My phone rang and I picked up. My eardrum burst when I heard a loud squeal.

Rose.

"That was amazing!" she exclaimed, "You both were amazing! You guys are going to win. I can already tell."

"I think I'm going to be deaf because of you," I mumbled.

"You're welcome," she chirped.

I scowled, "For what? Making me deaf?"

"No," she laughed, "For making you both realize you love each other."

"What?" My eyes widened, "What are y-"

She ended the call, leaving me hanging.

Love?

Do I love Douglas?