XIX

"Aching, begging you to come out and now that I'm without your kisses," Douglas sang softly to the kids sitting in front of him, watching him in awe. I was in awe too. His voice was rough but angelic, "I'll be needing stitches."

His fingers strum the guitar on his lap gracefully as he ended the song, "And now that, I'm without your kisses, I'll be needing stitches."

Just as he finished, the kids clapped enthusiastically and encouraged him to sing another song.

"I can't do another song," he told them.

They pouted and groaned.

"But I'll make it up to you guys by singing two songs tomorrow," he promised and they cheered.

I found myself smiling and admiring him.

The kids returned to playing with their toys and Douglas's eyes finally found me standing at the door. I was leaning against the door frame with my arm, staring back at him.

"What are you doing here?" he asked, his voice cold.

He looked away and packed the guitar back in it's case. I walked over to him and stood in front of him.

"I came here to talk," I told him softly.

The news I'm about to give him was not pleasant.

"About what?" he asked, still not looking at me.

"Would you please look at me?" I pleaded.

Then he looked at me and I could see the anger and sadness in his eyes.

I released a breath, "Rose and I saw your girlfriend kissing another guy."

He continued to look at me, nothing changing in his expression. I was almost afraid that he didn't hear me the first time, and that I had to repeat it again. That was until he reacted and I wasn't surprised he reacted it that way. Honestly, I was expecting it.

"You really are a work of art," he chuckled bitterly, "You say you don't want to be with me and when I get a girlfriend, you try to sabotage my relationship."

He shook his head in disbelief and slung the guitar case over his shoulders by the strap.

"I really don't get you, Aimee," he scoffed, "I just don't."

He was walking out the door and I followed him. I wasn't going to give up. I couldn't let him stay in a relationship that was already doomed.

"Douglas, I'm not trying to sabotage your relationship," I told him, "I'm telling you the truth. Rose and I saw-"

"Enough!" he stopped suddenly and spun around to glare at me, "Enough with the accusations. Sarah is my girlfriend and I will not have you insult her."

"Your girlfriend is cheating on you!" I exclaimed in frustration.

"And where is your proof?" he stepped towards me, his gaze on me became even more intense, "Huh? Where is your proof that Sarah is cheating on me?"

I didn't answer because there was no answer for that.

He scoffed, "That's what I thought."

"If you don't believe me then ask Rose," I whispered.

My eyes drifted down to his lips, and I quickly looked away so I could refrain from kissing him.

"I have to go," he mumbled and I nodded.

I felt his eyes lingering on me for a few more seconds before he took off. I ran my fingers through my hair and heaved out a heavy sigh.

I leaned my back against the hospital's walls and slid down to my butt. Then I hugged my knees closed to my chest and stared blankly at the other wall across from me. Anything I was feeling or before was instantly blocked. I didn't want to think or feel anything. I just wanted to stare at the white hospital wall.

I was starting to feel relaxed. My eyes were closed and I couldn't feel anything anymore. Well, that was until someone nudged my foot and I jumped in surprise.

"For a second there, I thought you were dead," Eric's voice made me looked up to see if it was really him and it was. He looked down at me with a wry smile, "Too bad."

"What do you want?" I asked and averted my eyes back to the wall. I was already annoyed and seeing his face made my annoyance tolerance go down.

"Nothing from you, of course," he chuckled, "I was just strolling by and saw you meditating like Buddha."

"So you decided that you had to stop and bother me," I predicted.

He clapped obnoxiously, "For once you're right, Evans."

"Just leave me alone," I muttered.

I waited for him to leave, but being the annoying idiot he was, he didn't. What I didn't expect was for him to sit down with me.

"What's got your panties in a twist?" he asked.

I scowled, "It's none of your business."

He stretched his feet out in front of him and leaned back against the wall, "I'm giving you a chance to spill out all of your feelings, Evans. It'd be wise to take it."

"Why do you care so much?" I asked.

He shrugged, "I don't. I just want to hear how pathetic your life is."

Scoffing, I went to get up, but then he grabbed my wrist.

"I was kidding," he glared, "I just wanted to talk to someone."

"Why don't you talk to one of your buddies?" I questioned him.

He had a bunch of friends to talk to, and he was coming to me, a person he despises? Yeah, right.

"Like they'd listen," he scoffed.

Then I could see the loneliness look behind his eyes. I recognized the feeling. Sighing, I sat back down.

"Alright then," I breathed out, "Lets talk."