Chapter 16: The Selection Date with Hugo Agreste

Heyo friends! It's Clippy here. So, if you can't guess from the title, Hugo will be a tad more involved with his competition. Let's see if he turns around - or finds another girl he likes...

But, without further ado, let's jump into it! Enjoy!

After a long argument with his kwami, Hugo had finally bit the bullet and asked one of the selected girls on a date. He had done a lunch event with her prior and got drunk at her birthday party. So, not a total stranger.

Hugo patiently waited outside her room, tapping his foot to a rhythm inside his head. 

"Hello, your majesty," she says. She shut the door behind her, Hugo straightening up. 

"Good evening," he handed her a crimson-stained rose. "You look lovely." He added, mustering up the courage to speak.

"Thanks," she replies. She smiled cheekily. "And the flower is gorgeous." She paused to smell it, then linking her arm between his as he led her down the hall.

"Did you have any other evening plans that I interrupted?" Hugo asked, making sure that there wasn't any possible way for him to escape.

"No, not really," she says. "Most of the other girls are all against each other, and I do not want to join that drama." She groaned.

Hugo chuckled. "It seems that this competition is stirring up a lot of... erm... competition," he says with a slight smile.

She nods. "You bet."

They went in silence for a few moments, Hugo unlinking his arm to open the gates. 

"Oh?" Her breath hitched. "What is this path?"

"It's the route I go on when I can't sleep," he explained. "Which, now that I think about it, happens to be nightly."

She smiled sadly. "What's been on your mind?"

He sighed deeply. "The selection, becoming the king, my father," he capped it at that. He didn't want to flood all of these problems to this poor girl. "It may not seem that much, but it really is a handful," he says, feeling the need to explain himself.

"No, no," Naideline sighed, "they may not sound like much, but they really are." "My dad had wanted me to take the family business, but my mom said that she wanted me to put myself out there more."

Hugo glanced at her, intrigued by the beginning of this story.

"I never had envisioned to get into the selection. But, when I did, I thought I was going to meet girls and make friends." She went on. She then sighed. "It happened to be the complete opposite, though."

"Well, don't you have service girls in your room you chat with?" Hugo proposed.

"I guess," Naideline breathed. "But they are workers for the palace. They will stay at the palace. And, when I get kicked out, I'll never see them again."

Hugo sighed. "I never thought of it from that perspective."

"Did you have any friends from your old village?" After getting no reply for a second, he continued. "All the houses were fairly close - my mother told me that everyone knew each other in hers..."

She nodded, "well,  yes." "I was the weird girl, though," she sighed. "I did homework on Friday nights, and I worked long hours instead of getting to know my neighbourhood..."

"I do not think that is weird," he says. Hugo looked at her. "I believe that partying and friend-making is very overrated."

She giggled. "That's just for you, though."