Talk It Out

'The body was never recovered.'

Those five words filled Valerie with a confusing mix of emotions.

According to the case file, he bought his own boat with the remaining money from the business and attempted to sail across to the island of Bimini, from a port in Florida.

The boat was washed up after a storm, traces of drugs stashed in the rear, that had been lost at sea.

But his body was never found.

If he was lost at sea, then who planted that message for her in her father's old apartment? And how did that man that held her hostage know about it? Maybe it was just a coincidence.

Coincidence. A word despised among all detectives.

Why did he set her free? And, worst of all, why does she want to keep looking?

Valerie knows that it won't end well, but she's not about to sweep the whole thing under the rug.

Holt had dismissed her for the rest of the day, giving her a firm warning. Valerie understood, she would've done the same thing if she was in his position.

She spent the rest of her day contemplating, the distant sound of the TV meeting her ears. She didn't even know what was playing, nor did she care, she only stared at the screen her mind clouded with countless thoughts and emotions.

Valerie was snapped from her daze as she heard a knock on her door. A chill ran down her spine as she approached the source of the sound, slowly leaning forward to have a look through the peephole.

Relief filled her as she recognised the figure to be none other than Amy Santiago, the woman seeming to be holding a basket full of pastries.

Valerie didn't know who else she was expecting, but she pushed the anxious feeling aside, opening the door.

"Valerie, hi." Amy stepped inside wrapping the other woman in a hug. Valerie was quick to reciprocate, finding comfort in the warm embrace.

"Hey, Ames. What brings you here?"

"Spontaneity. Do I really need a reason to visit my closest friend."

"Are you the same lady who brings a calendar and to-do list everywhere she goes?"

Amy rolled her eyes with a smile, setting the assortment of baked goods down on the counter, the aroma of freshly baked pastries filling the apartment.

"Just wanted to check in. I think we should talk about everything."

Valerie was silent for a moment, contemplating Amy's words before pursing her lips, "Okay, let's talk."

——————

Valerie sat on the sofa, taking small sips of her tea every few seconds in an attempt to diffuse the tension surrounding the two. Or maybe it was just her feeling that.

Amy was just trying to think of how to start.

"Valerie, it's okay to confide in the people around you. The whole squad cares for you, so please don't shut us out."

Valerie stayed quiet, absorbing her fellow detective's words.

"This isn't the badass detective I know and love. Sure, you've always been a little bold but not reckless." Amy paused for a moment, "Your Mum will always be with you, Valerie. Watching over you. I'm sure she wouldn't want you putting yourself in harm's way to try and track down the man who left you both."

Valerie nodded, avoiding Amy's eyes, "But there are so many unanswered questions. I feel like he's apart of something much bigger."

"Sometimes cases lead to nowhere, and it's so frustrating, even more so when it's personal, I get that. But you're such a great detective and there are so many people who need your help. Good people. Don't waste your talents trying to track down someone who is nowhere near as good a person as your Mum was. She lives on in you, Valerie. Let's make her proud."

Valerie looked directly at Amy this time, feeling her eyes glazing over.

She's right.

"Holt and Kevin will always love you. Terry, Boyle, Gina, Rosa, me- the whole squad, we're your family. And don't even get me started with Jake, that man is down bad. Bad, I say!"

Valerie let out a laugh at Amy's words, her lips curving into a small grin.

"Thank you, Amy."

"I'll always be here for you, Val."

The two smiled softly at each other before Amy pulled her fellow detective into an embrace, almost spilling her tea in the process.

"Alright." Amy stood brushing her hands along her trousers, "I feel like some pastries, what say you?"

Valerie joined the woman, standing from her seat, placing her now-cold tea on the coffee table.

"As long as you didn't make them."

"Wow, I did not just deliver a whole speech for this slander." Amy spoke over her shoulder, sending Valerie a glare as she made her way into the kitchen, leaving the woman with her thoughts.

Valerie hummed, spotting a framed photo of the squad last halloween that she had sitting on her mantlepiece. Her gaze moved to the photo beside it, a smile gracing her lips once more.

It was a photo of her and Jake that Amy had taken when the squad were at the bar after they had been to tactical village. The two were obviously tipsy but they were happy beyond belief. Valerie was sat on the stool, clutching her drink with a wide grin while Jake had his arm draped over her shoulders, seeming to be mid-laugh.

Valerie sat back down on the sofa, glancing back at Amy who was returning with the woven basket.

I have everything I need right here.

a/n: a filler!!! but i love valerie and amy sm. thank you for all of your support! <3