Hate To Be Lame

a/n: i've made a playlist called "partner in crime"!! my user is sophiejack179 (i'll put the link). if you have any recs for the playlist feel free to comment them here! <3

https://open.spotify.com/playlist/0gYZDpBSHFMNhb8NmtKTHk?si=313vwmx5Tni8s5me1V12FQ

—————————————————

The morning was brisk as Valerie jogged through central park, the sun hanging low between the skyscrapers as Cheddar trotted close at her heels. Noticing the hand on her watch nearing seven-thirty, the two made their way to the nearest dog-friendly cafe.

Valerie was standing by the counter, checking her phone as she waited for her coffee when a familiar voice spoke from behind her.

"Valerie? Hi!"

With wide eyes she turned to see Dylan, face lighting up in a smile as she brought him into a quick hug, "Dylan."

"Hello, Cheddar."

The canine's head lolled to the side in quiet greeting, to which the boy grinned.

"Oat milk Cappuccino for Cheddar?" The barista called out, tone bending in confusion as he placed the drink on the counter, Valerie taking it with quick thanks.

She had thought it was rather funny.

"Shall we go and sit?" She nodded towards the tables outside.

"Lead the way, Cheddar." Dylan walked alongside her as they took a seat.

It had been a couple of months since they had last seen eachother, just over half a year since tactical village. Both had been busy with work, but would occasionally check in. A low maintenance friendship, but one she treasured - he was a comforting presence.

"I'm going undercover."

Valerie's head shot upward from where she had been doting on Cheddar, eyes wide. "Undercover?"

Dylan pursed his lips, twirling his hair at the nape of his neck as his eyes darted. "In a month or two." He laughed quietly, "I'm not feeling like such a badass right now. I'm nervous, I guess. You know how I get."

She hummed, "Pre-shift stomach aches built into the morning routine. I remember."

Cheddar moved to sit beside his leg as it bounced beneath the table. She reached out to take his hand only for it to move away, voice raising as his words seemed to burst out of him.

"I think I have feelings for you."

She stilled, hand laying idly on the table as his leg continued to shake, the sole of his shoe hitting against the ground in an unsteady rhythm.

"Sorry, that was really stupid. Sometimes I get just really confused between platonic and romantic feelings and you're really important to me that sometimes I just enter this grey area but honestly I think as a society, we need to recognise the depth of platonic connections I mean seriously. Also, death may be imminent and you know I'm a nervous oversharer-"

She moved forwards once more, this time successfully taking his hand. "You don't have feelings for me. Whenever I get confused I just ask myself if I feel like I'm holding anything back. And you?"

"No. I like where we are. You're one of the people I trust most in the world."

"Then that's all there is, and that's everything. I agree about the friendship stuff. I disagree with your imminent death because, you're not gonna die. Cheddar would be heartbroken."

"And you?"

"I would get a cat and name it after you."

He grinned at this, "You get me."