The Bet - Part Two

"Hot date, coming through."

Valerie rolled her eyes as Jake led her through the crowded bar, "Hey, attention, everyone. Now I know that tonight is Boyle's big night-"

Cheers erupted as Charles beamed with pride.

"-But let's forget about that completely for a moment and admire the two detectives on the worst date of Valerie's life. I won the bet!"

The squad clapped once more, indulging in Jake's antics.

Valerie leant into Jake's side, speaking close to his ear, "Do I really have to ask permission to go to the bathroom?"

"Most definitely. Permission granted. First of three, use them wisely." Valerie rolled her eyes once more, a smile making its way onto her face as she walked away.

———————

"I'm so glad Holt spoke to you before you could make me dance in front of the squad, and all the other unsuspecting victims."

"Victims? Come on, I've seen you break out those dance moves to the backstreet boys-"  Valerie leant across the console, quickly placing her hand over Jake's mouth.

Jake stared back at her with wide eyes as a stoic expression dawned on her face. "We do not speak of it."

"There's literally no one else here to overhear us-"

"The birds." She spoke in a serious tone, looking back through the binoculars.

Jake raised his eyebrows, "The birds?"

"The birds work for the bourgeoisie-"

"Circling back round to the Titanic reenactment. Don't worry your pretty little head about it, we're gonna catch these guys and get back to the worst date of your life."

Valerie glanced back over at Jake, "I don't think so. Nothing will ever be worse than the date I had with my friend's cousin. One word, improv." Jake laughed as she leant back in her seat. "What about you? What was your worst date ever?"

"I think it's like a 50-way tie. The last lady I went out with burst into tears when I told her I was a Gemini."

It was Valerie's turn to laugh.

"Hey, those people left that door open. I bet there's a better vantage point from the roof."

"And I bet it doesn't smell like old cheese."

"Okay, that's hurtful."

————————

"Man, I don't know how Batman does it. It is super scary up here."

"Yeah, I hope you don't fall!" Valerie then proceeded to nudge Jake forward slightly, causing him to jump backwards, clinging onto the woman's arm.

Jake glares as she laughs, "I hate you."

"You love me."

"Yeah, whatever."

Valerie looked over at Jake with a soft smile only to see he was already looking back at her. She hoped that the darkness could hide her flushed complexion as she felt warmth creep up the back of her neck.

Turning away, Valerie hopped down onto the lower level of the roof, a comfortable silence settling between the two.

"Hey, can you grab my binoculars? They're in my stakeout bag."