10 Things

"Gina hasn't taken her eyes off her phone in two hours. First person to make her look up wins the pot." Jake finished as the squad placed their cash in the centre of the precinct's kitchen table.

Valerie was positioned with her lower back to the counter, taking small sips of her coffee as she observed with an attentive gaze. Valerie was somewhat of a competitive person, however, she was not a sore loser. She'd just do everything in her power to win.

Amy grinned, "I'm in. A bet which improves someone's manners? Double score."

"Sorry, guys. I got this in the bag. I used to have to distract her from her phone all the time when we were smushin' booties." Charles spoke with a prideful expression, only to earn noises of complaint from the rest. 

This confidence proved to be both misplaced and short-lived as Charles received a stapler to the sternum, Valerie wincing as she watched the painful scene. 

The rest followed suit until it was Valerie's turn, only Terry being left to go after her.

Valerie approached the desk, clutching her shoulder with a pained expression, "I think there's something wrong with my wound. You know, the wound from the time I was shot? Scary times."

The female detective watched Gina expectantly only for the redhead to lean forward, patting Valerie on the head, without looking away from her phone, "Pain is a social construct, my silly little associate."

Valerie's pained expression dropped as she let out a frustrated groan, throwing her head back as she made her way back towards the kitchen.

"There, there." Jake ushered her over and, in one movement, Valerie allowed her head to tilt back forward, forehead pressed to Jake's shoulder before she turned back to the group.

"Gina may never look at another real human being again. She's unbeatable." Jake spoke with mild frustration.

Terry's eyebrows were raised as he looked back at the detective, "Uh, I don't know about that."

Less than a few seconds had passed when Gina rose from her desk, her gaze now fixed on the Sargent, "Terrence Jeffords, are you kidding me?"

"Changed my relationship status to 'it's complicated'. Pony up, y'all!" Terry elaborated, dancing in victory before his phone began to ring. 

Continuing his moves, he looked down at the device with a grin, "It's my wife." He raised the phone to his ear, "Hey, baby." His expression faltered, "No! No, no, no. It was a mistake. My thumb slipped and-"

Holding the phone away from his face for a moment, Terry looked gravely around at the squad, "I have to go home."

"Epic case. Epic case time." Valerie turned to see Jake following close behind her as she walked from the evidence room.

She grimaced but continued her pace, "Why'd you whisper it? Where did you even come from?"

"Epic case. Then followed shortly after by an equally as epic date." 

She turned back forward as she smiled, only for Jake to skip in front of her, walking backwards as to observe her reaction. However, this quickly proved impractical as he bumped less-than-gracefully into a uniformed officer. 

"Smooth. What's the restaurant called, again?"

"Wouldn't you like to know." He looked at her with raised eyebrows, Valerie letting out a small laugh as she moved to pass him only for Jake to grip her shoulders, speaking in a whinier tone, "No, wait, you called my bluff. It's this fancy sushi place in central Brooklyn because you love Japanese food and-"