Christmas

"So, let me get this straight. Boyle kicked Santa between the legs in front of a group of children." Valerie let out a laugh as Jake recalled the events from that morning. "I can't believe I wasn't there!"

"To be fair, he had a knife. Santa has bad days too." Jake looked at her pointedly.

"And the plot thickens." Valerie remarked before rolling back to her desk, almost taking Terry out in the process.

A few minutes passed when Jake came excitedly bounding out of Holt's office. Valerie watched, mouth ajar as Jake swiped the file's off her desk, parking his ass where the pile had once been.

"Guess what."

The two looked at eachother in silence for a moment before Valerie spoke.

"I hope you realise that I'm not gonna guess-"

"Okay, I'll just tell you. You're now looking at Captain Holt's personal security detail." Jake smiled proudly while Valerie frowned, confused.

"Why does he need a security detail?"

Jake's eyes widened, his smile remaining plastered on his face, "Don't we all need a bit of security sometimes? Oh, what's that, Charles? Yes, Charles, I'll be right over!"

Valerie looked over at Charles who looked just as puzzled.

"I don't think-"

"He was calling me with his eyes. Bye!" He pressed a kiss to the top of her head before scurrying over to Charles' desk, the two moving into the break room as Valerie watched with narrowed eyes.

Valerie's leg bounced up and down beneath her desk before she pushed herself away from it, rising to her feet, she knocked on the Captain's door.

She waited a short moment - shorter than usual - before entering, Holt looked up expectantly from his work.

"Why do you need a security detail?"

"Why do you need a security detail? And more importantly, why didn't you choose me? Jake is a great detective, but I'm your niece. I'd never expect you to pick me because we're related and I know you don't like to mix personal with work, but you know fully well that I'd protect you with my life." Valerie paused before letting out a breath, eyes wide with expectance.

Holt stared blankly before answering, "That is exactly why I didn't pick you, Valerie. Because you're reckless when it comes to people you care about. I didn't want to put you in harms way. Besides, these threats aren't real."

"Threats?"

"I've just received some death threats from an anonymous number. It's nothing to worry about, I assure you." 

Valerie's eyes knitted in concern, "But-"

"Dismissed."

Swallowing her words, she sent Holt a short nod before turning on her heel, not looking back as she closed the door behind her.

Valerie crossed her arms over her chest as she slumped back in her deskchair, staring blankly at the opposing wall for a moment before throwing her head back in frustration, eyes tightly shut as a forced breath escaped her. 

—————

"Peralta's busy, so let's just get started. Now, the Captain won't allow us to give him all the presents we bought him-"

"You are the only one that did that." Rosa spoke up from beside Valerie.

"But, we can make him the greatest Christmas card of all time. We're gonna wear Santa hats and big sweaters, and take a picture of us all in a lineup." Amy smiled brightly, looking around at her fellow detectives.