Chapter 30 - Sweet As Honey

Part One

"What the hell happened to you?!" Ethan asks, gaping at me as I walk into the kitchen, dropping my bag in the hallway. My mom who was finishing her bowl of muesli smacks his head with the empty cereal box, a frown painted on her lips.

"Ethan, talk to your sister with some respect" My dad frowns, looking up from his daily newspaper to send a warning look towards my brother. My mom smiled at me as she tweaked my hair between her fingers, running a hand through the natural curls with a smile.

"Well, I for one think that you are looking exceptionally beautiful today honey. This doesn't have something to do with this boyfriend of yours now, does it?" she asks with a small smile. That all too familiar heat rises to my cheeks as she and my dad chuckle and I quickly walk to the counter to grab a bowl of cereal for myself. 

I can still feel the incredulous stare of my brother and the knowing one of my parents' as I take a seat and start eating. I act normal, not giving away the fact that I was slightly uncomfortable or that yes, I may have dressed up a bit for a certain hard-headed boy.

Soon the normal morning breakfast routine resumed. It wasn't long before my parents were saying goodbye, briefcases in hand as they walked out of the front door. Their departure brought along the arrival of James who looked thoroughly miffed, having woken up late.

"Are the two of you incapable of waking you're little brother up? Jeez, there are four of you yet you didn't think to see why I wasn't up and about yet" he continued grumbling for awhile longer. I watch as he stumbles about the kitchen, trying to fix his hair and messy clothes.

Ethan and I exchange amused looks as we take a seat next to each other, our cereal finished, waiting for our younger brother to hurry up.

"You know if you weren't texting that Freida or Heidi or whatever her name is- late into the night you would have gotten up a lot sooner" Ethan chimes, scrolling through his Facebook feed on his phone. 

"Oooh, James has a girlfriend! How did I not know?" I ask cheekily, enjoying the red tinge that lights his  cheeks before texting Juliette- may as well kill time with some daily girl talk. 

"I do not--what the hell happened to you?!" A dark scowl forms as I watch James' eyes bug out in disbelief taking in my outfit while Ethan starts howling in laughter. Idiots. So much for moral support. They're acting like I spend all my time dressed like a one of those swamp monsters or something.

"You know what? The two of you can walk to school" I hurriedly snatch Ethan's keys from his bag and power walk to the garage hearing my brother's surprised outbursts from behind me. 

"Oh no you don't" Ethan says as his arms wrap around my waist and he hauls me back into the kitchen like some petulant toddler. I grumble the whole way there as he plonks me down on my stool and takes the keys from my hands. 

"Hurry up and eat something James or we're going to be late" My twin barks, seemingly impatient to get to school as once again he starts texting. Sighing in frustration I do the same, knowing that it's going to take awhile before James has finished eating.

My phone buzzes with a text and I smile as Juliette's name flashes on the screen.

Juliette: So what's the plan, oh great one...do I get to kick my cousin's butt?

Only if I can punch him in the face :P But seriously, we're going to have to be subtle about this to figure out what he's hiding.

Juliette: Subtle, got it. So I'll go all CIA on him and interrogate him subtly