The girl who has changed

"Alice, come."

"Yes mom."

I see her smiling face around the corner and I can't help but rush into her embrace. It's so strange to see her like this; her hair in a graceful bun, dark navy dress, and beige pumps to make her taller than her natural 5'10 frame. Her eyes were lined lightly with a black swooping arch and dusted with a pale gold.

She was even wearing her wedding ring.

"We have a guest." She smiles and I follow I suit. My mother would never put makeup on and take herself out of her tearful bedroom just for us.

"Where are your sisters?" We walk down the corridor to the living room.

"Nova's at a friends house and Audrey's at practice."

She nods and we enter the living room. How ironic that we call this room a "living room" when it is a rare occasion for anything living to enter.

A middle aged lady is perched on the love seat. Her long dark hair is braided and starling with her blue eyes. She is fiddling with some charm on her wrist when I near near her.

"This is one of your daughters?" She asks my mother in a clear voice.

"Yes, Alice sweetie, this is Layla Callings."

Suddenly Layla bursts up and grabs me by arms. I try to object but the look my mother gives me shuts me up.

Layla turns me in a circle inspecting me. Her cold eyes look me up and down.

"Good. She will be able to take it."

My mom is overjoyed at this. Her hands cover her full mouth. She is so delighted that I frown. I haven't seen her smile since....what seems like forever.

"Oh-Layla I don't know how to thank you." she exclaims happily.

Layla tsked, "You do not thank me. You know the deal."

"Alice go get us some drinks." My mom orders

"Mother what's going-"

"Now Alice."

I retreat to the hallway, but I don't go to the kitchen. I stay and listen.

"Understand that once they take this they belong to him. It cannot be undone." I hear Layla say.

"I need it. Even if they're only halfbreeds-it'll be enough. I just need something to remind me of him." Him? Halfbreed?

"Then it's settled. That one can be changed but I will need to see your other daughters to determine whether or not they will survive the change from human to-"

"Shhhh she might hear you."

I leave to get drinks and bring them back quickly setting them on the coffee table.

My mother rushes into a conversation with me, so I focus my attention on her.

If I hadn't focused my attention on her I would have noticed Layla take a vial from her purse. I would have noticed her slip it into my drink. I would have seen her give me what I needed to become half-werewolf, half-human.
-------
"I'm just a mess." I tell her. We're sitting on the sidewalk drawing weird things. A heart, dragon, an apple, Dave Franco...

"Yeah..." I snap up and stare at her. She agreed?! I expected her to reassure me that I wasn't a mess even if I actually was.

"A mateless, fat mess."

"So fucking what?" The purple chalk in her hand crumbles under her angry pressure, "Why do you need him?" Kara snaps.

"Because I love him."

"You love your mom don't you?" I nod, "But she's dead isn't she?" I nod, "she loved your dad?" I nod, "And when he died she practically did too?" That's true, "Why do you want that Alice? A kind of love that can kill you?"

"I-"

"I wanted it," I freeze. Kara isn't one to disclose herself. I'm not the person to pry, so I just let her be. I know that the pack girls call her hybrid but other than that I am clueless. As to why she is a werewolf without those electric silver eyes is beyond me.

"I wanted the love that you want. I met Adam three years ago-Adam's my mate by the way. Anyways I've never had the best reputation in the pack being half were half vampire-the eyes you know. Those assholes didn't even need me scent to know I wasn't of true blood. My parents are gone too so.. and when I met Adam, well I just thought that things would turn around. He's so perfect and beautiful, I couldn't imagine words like that coming out of his mouth. He-" she stops and clenches her pale hands.

I look down and she continues, "He beat me and rejected me. He called me a 'Worthless bitch' and left me covered in blood." she winces when blood spills out from then cuts left by her finger nails, "And yes you've gotten fat."

I know that she's changing the topic. She can't take it and frankly neither can I.

A puff of defiant air escapes me, "Not that fat!"

"Super fat."

"No." I get up.

"Suuuppppeeerrrr fat." that bitch even emphasized the 'fat'.

"I'm going to kill you."

She shakes her head, her lips pressed into a firm line, "You can't kill me if you can't catch me fatty."

Grrrrrr.
_________