2.9

"This girl who stands so quiet and grave at the mouth of hell. This girl who is all quietness and sanity and innocence. You wondered why I wanted her?"
Charlotte Brontë, Jane Eyre
********************
Song: Me, 1975
********************

 You wondered why I wanted her?"Charlotte Brontë, Jane Eyre ********************Song: Me, 1975********************

*****************
CALEB

I think, once again, of the prospects of returning to you. What must I do and what must I strive for.

Two things I know for sure: one, cannot breathe without you and two, I can kill or die to save you.
*******
KARA

When I drove with Caleb through the purpled night's sky, I realized that it was starting.

He lifted his head from the seat rest and stared into the night.

My own mate had abandoned me and cast me aside. But Caleb has changed the meaning of what it meant to be a mate in my mind. He has revolutionized the very determination of a mate in my mind.

I think that he would travel through the night of rain and snow until his feet bleed and bones broke. I think that he would hold a pack of wolves together because it pleased her. I think that he would give up everything. That he would offer his blood and very breath at the ready. I think that he would try to become a mate for her even if he knew that he couldn't love her.

It was starting. I could feel it before my Alpha asked me a question. I could feel the beginning of everything turning through the air.

"Is she your Alpha?" His shoulders lock into place as a certain tension hardens his mouth to a line.

"Alice?" I whispered confused.

"Yes."

I nodded tentatively. This satisfied him because he smiles so deeply that I wondered if his teeth really did glow in the dark.

"Good," he shook his head as if he couldn't believe the luck he started upon.

"Caleb I don't understand why this matters. You have to die for her to-"

"Someone who has wronged her. That someone doesn't have to be me. That someone can be Darren."

"Do you even know where to look for him though?"

"I'll find him."

"Good." I'd expected no less for Alice - the mate he has wronged.

He was quiet for a long time before he spoke again. I pulled over to the side of the rode, parking and killing the headlights. My neck ached from driving so much after that whole psychic ordeal.