The girl who watches the fire

A/N

The dress on the side is the one I took inspiration off of for Alice's dress.

The model isnt Alice.

Song- Of the Night, Bastille.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

For awhile, I just stared at the girl before me as she stared right back in an unwavering gaze. She just wasn't me. Nothing about my reflection in the mirror looked like me. Maybe it was the shimmering makeup that made my eyes stand out and my lashes throw off bits of light as I blinked. Maybe it was the shiny, gold heels that wrapped around my ankle, leaving my toes that were painted for once open and giving me an extra four inches of height. Maybe it was my deadpan black hair that was curled loosely and came tumbling over my shoulder. Maybe it was the dress, wait no-it was definitely the dress. Caleb told me to just use the clothes that were in the closet; all of them were my size and expensive looking. He said it was a formal event and that it was a bit warmer outside now.

The dress was black and ended mid-thigh with gold lace detailing covering the dress. The gold detailing was embroidered and was gilded over the dress. A black, strap crossed over another one as a belt synching in my waist, making it look smaller than it actually was. It dipped slightly by my chest but it wasn't low enough where I should feel uncomfortable or worried. Sheer, black sleeves reached to my elbows. I made sure that I found a dress with sleeves. To cover up my brandings. My past.

I was so...different. I guess I never really looked pretty. My features were too angular; dark pink lips not really full but not thin either, oval shaped face and cheekbones that gave a edge to my look. At times I thought my nose was a bit too big so I'd only face people straight on when I talked to them. And then there were my eyes. A deep, silver shaded with thick lashes that were curled. The color of my eyes just looked so out of place, like it didn't belong with on me. So silver that it looked unreal. I think it may have to do with me being a half-breed but I still felt wrong with the color.

Even Nova felt self-conscious with the color. We looked so alike except for the fact that our hair colors' varied dramatically. Nova's hair is white blonde and mine is black. Audrey's hair was a vibrant red but the silver eyes looked nice on her. Or at least it did.

I wish that all of my thoughts didn't lead me back to her. To this day I still make myself sick thinking about her. My mind would never leave her alone. I'd see flashes, her face, her laugh, her living and breathing.

We were triplets, Nova, Audrey and I, all of us inseparable and complete when we were together. All of us were alike. Sharp mouthed and quick to act on impulse.

When Audrey and I were sixteen we drifted apart from Nova. But it wasn't unexpected. We were all close, but Audrey and I were something else. The bond that held us was closer than sisters.

Parties and raves became a weekly thing for us. Audrey and I found ourselves mixed in with alcohol and drugs and things that we really shouldn't have done, before we could even think twice. But we liked it; the feeling that we got when we knew we weren't supposed to be doing something, but we did it anyways. Maybe it was a call for attention since we were never given any before. Everything about this lifestyle had been toxic, and we knew it.

Eventually we met Darren Callings. He was charming and handsome, able to have his way with anyone. His presence was completely alluring, drawing you into his life of danger and mystery. We didn't know what he wanted to do with two sixteen year olds, but we were completely engrossed in the fact that he even talked to us.

He once said, "You, Alice are just too innocent for your own good. You are too oblivious to everything going on around you, you know? You're fire, always there, never going unseen even though you don't want to be seen."