HATE 29

JAMES was doing his work when he felt a pair of arms snaked around his neck from behind. His lips formed a smile as he could recognize Nadine's scent and a moment later, she rested her chin on his left shoulder and quietly watched him typing something on laptop. Nadine loved doing this to him and even though she said nothing, James knew that she actually wanted his attention and love right now.

"Come here," James paused his work and pulled her to sit on his lap. He then cradled her tenderly in his arms, and he knew that she absolutely loved it when he pampered her like this. Nadine hugged his body while resting her face on his chest. She had never said this to James, but she loved the sound of his heartbeat.

"How is the preparation for Dad's birthday?" he asked as he resumed typing on laptop using one hand. Mr. Angelo's birthday was next week and for this year, they had decided to hold a small birthday and dinner party at their house. They had sent the invitation to Mr. Angelo's friends and business partners as well. The last time they held birthday party for him was around 5 years ago because Mr. Angelo was preferred a family vacation on his birthday.

Mr. Angelo loved to go to place with beautiful nature. Last year they went to Sagada, and she went hiking with Mr. Angelo to see the sunrise. After they reached the top hill, they prepared the hot tea while waiting for sunrise. Nadine was never bored to hear about his life story, but James rarely become the topic between us. Even though Mr. Angelo always smiled and laughed in front of her, his eyes could not hide the pain and sadness in his heart.

"Happy birthday, Dad," she wished and hugged him tightly. He had never mentioned anything, but Nadine knew that he was hoping for James to wish him too. Nadine looked up and stared at James' face. This year was going to be different because James was finally at home, and they were going to celebrate Mr. Angelo's birthday together.

"What are you staring at?" James asked with his eyes still on the screen laptop.

"Nothing," Nadine bit her lips shyly and hide her face on his chest.

"I love you," she then murmured those words while hugging him tightly. Ever since Nadine had confessed to him a month ago, she realized that James had never replied her by words. However, she was not upset or doubted him because he was always reciprocated to her by action. Just like how tender he was kissing the top of her head right now, Nadine was happy enough and would not ask for more. She did not need to hear those love words from him to believe that he loved her as much as she did.

************

IT was intimate birthday party and nothing grand had been prepared as requested by the main character for today. Nadine was wearing mini floral white dress while James chose to wear light blue T-shirt and paired with black pants. Nadine looked at Mr. Angelo who was laughing as he was having conversation with his old friends at one corner while Lola Liezel was having tea with her friends.

"Lola, do you need anything?" Nadine approached Lola Liezel and at the same time she politely greeted Lola Liezel's friends. She had known most of them especially Mrs. Leela because that lady had adored Nadine until she wished that one of her grandsons would marry her. She insisted to introduce her first grandson, Alejandro which Nadine had found his background from Bret. Alejandro might have innocence look, but he was a playboy who loved to party most of the nights.

"Nadine, you look more glowing after married. Any good news yet?" asked Mrs. Leela, and Nadine did not need further explanation for her to understand that question. Must a married couple get pregnant as soon as possible? Even though Nadine was not on any contraception right now, both of them haven't really talked about children yet. She was thinking of discussing a family planning later with James because if possible, she wanted to finish her study first before get pregnant.