HATE 41

IT WAS warm and windy; the perfect weather to have outdoor activities. Mr. Angelo was chilling on fold chair, covering his face from hot sun using straw hat and almost falling asleep until he heard the sound of splashing water. He removed the hat away, eyes widened as he saw his fishing rod moved with sound of splashing water. Excitement was all over his face. He must have caught the big one. He hurriedly left the chair but the big smile on face was wiped away when the fishing rod stopped moving. The fish managed to escape from become his meal for dinner tonight.

"Damn it! James, you should help me with..," Mr. Angelo's statement halted when he looked at the empty chair beside him.

"James..," he called out while looking around for his son. He did not consume much time to find James. Not far away from the deck, he spotted James was walking on the track along the lakeside, heading to another deck with gazebo at the end of the deck track. He saw James gripped the top wooden rail before resting both elbows on top of it. James then threw his sight at the blue skies. Mr. Angelo sighed, grabbing his hat and left his fishing activity to get his son.

Meanwhile, at the other side, James was staring absentmindedly at the skies. Coming to Caliraya as the destination for holiday was indeed the wise choice. They were here not just for holiday but to celebrate Mr. Angelo's 57th birthday tomorrow. This place was definitely breathtaking with spectacular view; the best place to unwind or healing the broken heart. Unfortunately, it did not work for James. For the past 3 months, his life had been a hell.

"It was your idea to go out for fishing but it seems you are not interested in it anymore," James looked over his shoulder, curling a tight smile as he watched Mr. Angelo approached him closer.

"I'm sorry. I just need fresh air," he apologized but chuckling few seconds later, thinking how funny his excuse just now. Mr. Angelo joined his son, leaning forward against the rail and looked around to appreciate the beauty of nature.

"Yes, it's what you really need right now," said Mr. Angelo without elaborating further. He was sure James understood what he was trying to convey just now. It had been 3 months both James and Nadine had decided to end their marriage. The official divorce agreement had been emailed to Nadine 2 months ago but until today, he had not received any reply from her.

"Why don't you just call her and ask her about it?" Mr. Angelo suggested even though he had known James' answer. This was not the first time he gave this suggestion to his son. James remained quiet. He did not know why Nadine took quit a long time to submit back the divorce agreement when she was the one who eager to end their marriage. Perhaps she changed her mind and wanted to give their marriage another chance? James shook his head, refused to give himself any hope.

"It doesn't really matter how long she takes because nothing will change," James still remembered their last day together. It hurt so much to see Nadine's tears, and he did not want her to continue suffering because of him. If walking out from her life would make her happy, then he would do it.

"Are you sure?" James looked at Mr. Angelo. His father was looking at him with raised eyebrow, as if he was trying to tell him that miracle could happen between them. James chuckled before turned around and walked away.

"Don't try to give any false hope to me, Dad," he headed back to the fishing site, wondering if his bait had caught any fish right. Mr. Angelo did not reply anything, just following James from behind quietly.

"We have been here for 2 hours but it such a shame we didn't get any fish," James pulled the fishing rod, exchanging the glance with Mr. Angelo before both of them burst in laugh.