HATE 18

NADINE’s life turned upside down since she had returned to Manila three weeks ago. She had a thought that probably her life would be much easier if she and James just mind their own business when they were left alone. However James liked to meddle in her personal life and gave her headache, especially when it related to Bret. Since the day Bret dropped her to college, James had made his own decision to fetch her college every morning if he was available.    

Nadine was against it in the beginning, but James’ decision was fully supported by Mr. Angelo and Lola Liezel which made James smiled in triumph as Nadine had to obey him. Nadine really had no idea what James wanted to prove to Lola Liezel and Mr. Angelo. Did he try to look like responsible and good husband in front of their eyes? It would be obvious that they were pretending if James was trying hard to show off their happiness because they knew how exactly James had felt for her. 

For James who had hated Nadine for his whole life, it was impossible for him to treat her like a princess once they got married. Nadine believed that Mr. Angelo and Lola Liezel knew that they were not happy with this marriage, but Mr. Angelo and Lola Liezel still wished for their marriage to work out. Nadine sighed as she leaned her back against the chair and closed her eyes. The quiet and peaceful environment inside the library somehow had made Nadine sleepy.    

Nadine noticed that she was easily tired lately, and she went to sleep earlier from her usual sleeping time. She had finished her homework anyway, so she could take a nap while waiting for Freya and Martina to finish the class. She was about to sleep when someone tapped her table, and she saw Bret was standing beside her when she opened the eyes. Bret smiled before he pulled the chair and sat beside her. This library was one of Nadine’s favourite spots to study, so it was no hard for Bret to find her.

“Hey, if you are boring, let’s go out to somewhere,” suggested Bret with the hope that Nadine would agree with his idea. He would not miss the chance to be with Nadine even though he knew James was trying hard to bring her away from him. That was why James was eager to fetch Nadine to college everyday.

“No, I’m not boring,” she denied while shaking her head.    

“I’m easily get tired lately. Probably because there are so many homework to do,” explained Nadine as she stretched her neck and hands. Bret nodded his head and if they were not in public area, he would massage her shoulders and neck.     

“Nadine, how about we go out for dinner tonight? With Freya and Martina,” Bret was trying his luck, but he was also hoping that Nadine would not decline his invitation. To his dismay, Nadine had another plan tonight with James, and Bret tried to look calm when Nadine mentioned about her husband.     

“I’m sorry, Bret. My friend throws baby shower the party tonight,” explained Nadine as she did not want Bret to feel hurt. Xian was throwing baby shower party tonight, and he had invited her and James to attend it. Nadine smiled when Leon’s face crossed her mind. Xian’s son was such an adorable and active kid. She even had met his wife, Kim Chui several times, and she was more beautiful in person.   

“Oh, I guess maybe next time,” Bret said in disappointment, but he would make sure that Nadine will spend more time with him after this.

************

THE peach colour floral halter dress was Nadine’s choice of attire for the baby shower party tonight. Her long brown hair was styled into loose curls and tied it using ribbon. She then fixed the ring pendant necklace before she sprayed her favourite Dolce & Gabbana perfume on the neck and wrists. James was already waiting at the outside, and he probably would scold her if she did not come out in seconds. So she grabbed the Louis Vuitton handbag before leaving the room.