c & c - slow dancing in the dark

a/n: heyyy i haven't been writing much lately and my mental health has gone to shit. ya girl's not been doing too well. i don't know when/if i'm going to update again, but if i do, it'll be really irregular until i work myself out.

anywayyss

i felt really compelled to write about these two because there's no way something didn't happen when they were filming. i hope you enjoy this short little piece.

sof 🦋

xox

~

They stood together, not yet in an embrace. Their eyes were diverted towards the cold concrete underneath them, not daring to look at each other just yet.

"Okay," she heard the director say, "when you're ready, you can start, the cameras are rolling."

She took a deep breath before looking up at him. He nodded, and she felt her body let go of the awkwardness that had been present just moments earlier. It was just Chase. She could do this. He reached to her and she stepped into him, grabbing his hand.

Her other hand instinctively reached up to his hair, twisting into it and scratching his head. His eyes closed and he smiled. It was a silent thank you. It was a thank you for everything that had happened past and present. Nothing that had ever happened between them mattered now. It was a reminder that the only time that existed was the present moment, and the present moment existed right here between them. Her eyes drifted away to the rough bricks of the walls surrounding them. They're perfectly imperfect, she thought. Just like us.

She smiled. It was nice to be reasonably alone with him again. Yes, they'd stayed close throughout all of last year, but she rarely had a moment to herself with him. There had always been Dixie or Noah or Larray or Avani or James with them and it had been hard to show any friendly affection without the fear of being teased or told to "be careful".

His fingers pressed into her side slightly and she became hyperaware of them and their warmth. She suddenly had a need to be close to him and so she stood up on her tippy toes and wrapped her arms around his neck. He pulled her close and they swayed to their song. Her eyes filled with tears. Chase had really been the only one that really truly knew her. He could read her emotions like a book. He felt her tense slightly and drop her head into the nape of his neck. His hands ran lines up and down her back and tangled in her hair.

She turned her head and kissed him on the cheek. "Thank you so much for letting me improv."

He pulled away to look at her. "Char, I'd do anything for you. I know how much you love improv," he whispered. He leant forward to press a kiss to her forehead.

"Aww, forehead kissi," she giggled.

Chase smiled. "Always."

They fell back into their comfortable silence, her arms still wrapped around Chase's neck and his hands still on her waist. And in this moment, she could see him. Not the social media Chase. Not the Chase he had built himself up to be. Not the Chase who had built up his walls. Rather just a pure reflection. He was Cole Chase fucking Hudson and she loved him for it. She would always be drawn to him; it was a given. She felt so comforted in his presence that she found it hard to ignore him for any length of time.

Through her own tears, she realised that he had begun to cry, and she reached up to brush the tears off of his cheeks. She didn't even have to say it to him. It had become an unspoken agreement - she loved him, and he loved her.

Her hands remained on his cheeks, drawing soft circles. He bent down to rest his forehead on hers and they swayed for a few moments before she felt his face close to hers. She didn't care for the past. She didn't care for the future; she was just focused in the moment.

So she tilted her head.

Their lips brushed slowly and softly, hers parting to fit his. The moment was quiet. Silent. It wasn't a fiery moment of need and desire like the moments in the movies. It hadn't been what she had been imagining. It wasn't desperate. He didn't melt from the desire for her.

Yet it was inexplicably them.

It was pure and innocent.

It was tears on tears.

It was emotional and sentimental.

Her finger drifted from his cheekbone to his chin and she smiled into the kiss. He pulled away, tears still running. "I love you," he whispered, "I always will."

And she wasn't scared. They were Charli and Chase.

"I love you too."