20. Realize

1000 things crossing my mind while I was driven home by my grandfather. My grandmother was already home in bed and relaxing and sitting beside
me in the back seat was Connor and Addison.... and intentionally, my grandpa was avoiding any large roads and taking short cuts through neighborhoods.

"Grandpa it's okay," my voice was gargly and nasty, "I'm not afraid to drive on the actual roads."

She eyeballs me through the rear-view mirror and said nothing... he only reached for the volume knob on the radio and turned up the radio.

"85 degrees on a cloudy day, must be calling for a thunder and lightning storm. Weatherman say there's strong winds and quite a heavy amount of humidity building up. I would be expecting some rain near late afternoon this evening, so cancel any outdoor evening plans." The man over the staticky news station muttered through the speakers.

Addison sighed and combed her fingers through her hair, "Well that's lovely." She says sarcastically. My grandpa smiled in his seat, retorting silently to her remark.

He must've been mentally calling her a smart ass.

I folded my wrist underneath my other arm, hiding the hospital wrist band from myself.

It was giving me a harsh turning feeling in my gut. I had a thing against hospitals.
No matter what it was for.

As we start to park in the driveway of Connor's house, I sat up in my seat, "Are you dropping him off?"

Connor looked just as confused as I was.

Addison nor Connor had their stuff with them.

"Am I not supposed to?"

I cleared my throat, feeling almost rude in rejecting what he just asked, "No, they were supposed to come home with me."

"They've been at our house for weeks, don't you think they should at least say hello to their families?"

Addison gave my an uneasy look.

I knew the issue.

I relaxed in my seat, sitting back and kicking my feet up on the cup holders, "Not right now."

He gawked at me through the rear-view mirror then over at Connor... simple as that.

Then he started backing away from his house and toward our own neighborhood.

****

"Take it easy." Connor says, helping me across my bedroom to lie down on my bed. With such a strong, constant migraine and still feeling as if I was in shock... it wasn't the most wonderful task.

I wavered him with my hands, signaling that I was okay and he moved to the foot of my bed near Addison.

He folded his legs and stared at me with his backside nearly leaning off the edge and Addy did the same.

And I just lifted my eyebrows, "What."

They looked at each other, as if they had a plan.

Addison cleared her throat, "Do you feel at all like you'd gotten over your fear?"

"No... why?"

They paused... waiting for me to catch on.

Then it clicked, "No..." I tell them, "No, I'm not doing that again."

Connor reaches for my foot, because that was all he could reach. He held onto it just so it would get my focus on him, "Not anytime soon... but--"

"No, I can't. I can never do that again."