5. Trapped in a Memory

I toss my skateboard into any nearby shrub when I come home without a ride. That was where I could keep it for emergency escapes without opening the garage and waking my grandparents.

When I came inside, I shut the door behind me and it must've been heard from across the house. My grandpa came smiling down the hall and gave me a hug, "Well if it isn't my favorite granddaughter."

I laughed while he wrapped his arms around me, "I'm your only granddaughter."

He waved a hand in the air in gesture of carelessness, "You'd still be my favorite, regardless."

I smiled and pulled away from him, "So what's with the cheeriness?"

He shrugged, then adjusted his intensely prescripted glasses, "I have a surprise for you."

I raised an eyebrow, not knowing how to react, "Really?"

He nods and rubbed his hands together in excitement. He had a cheery and sheepish smile plastered to his face while he moved over the his computer and lead me to it.

Something about old people being happy about something was adorable. In a childish way.

He sits down in front of the ancient-looking computer monitor and clicks a few times at the screen, "Close your eyes." He says, waving his hand at me.

I laughed, slightly, and shut my eyes with a smile on.

He typed something into the computer and chuckled like a giggly old man. I heard the chair creak as he stands from it and takes hold on my shoulders. He sat me down in the same chair and tells me to open my eyes.

I didn't let my eyes focus until he said something first.

"Pick one." He says, setting his finger tip on the screen.

A large category of fancy cars that seemed to be a million dollars were placed all over the lit screen.
For a second, I just let my jaw drop, then I looked up at him, "You're getting me a car??"

He shrugged and smiled even wider, "I figured I'd kept the privilege from you long enough... why not?"

I glanced at the screen again, "How can you afford this?"

"I've made quite a bit more money than usual in the past couple months. I knew where I should put the profit."

I couldn't contain myself then. I jumped up to my feet and threw my arms around him. No Matter how fragile he could've been.
He laughs again. The soft laugh he had when he was glad for a moment.

Just as I let go of him, I heard the faint footsteps of my grandmother coming down the stairs.

We both stare over at her while she slowly finishes her journey down the last few steps.

"What's with all the excitement?" She says, dragging her slippers with her.

He placed his hands on my shoulders again, proud with what he was going to say, "I think it's time we let Sky get something to drive, right?"

I let my gaze fall from him and onto my grandma. Her smile was no longer there. Yet she didn't seem angry either. It felt as if my blood went cold. I was so thrilled to finally imagine driving a car of my own, but I'd forgotten that she would most likely have something against it.

"James. We can't."

He sighs and let's go of me. There was a moment when neither of them said anything... they both grieved of the idea of why she would disagree on the thought of me driving.

"She's a safe driver, Meredith."

I almost wanted to laugh. I was the opposite of a safe driver.
I guess it was in my blood.