44. A New Start

It took me a few days to finally make a decision on the car that I wanted-or the car that Connor told me that I wanted. I appreciated his effort. I would've probably picked a car that looked good, but had everything wrong with it. Having a best friend with all the smarts was important when it came to people like me.

But once we'd finally narrowed it down to the one car we both approved of, my grandfather was quick to say that he'd get it for me. He didn't even hesitate to ask questions about it. Or verify if I wanted it for sure-he just nodded and told me he was going to buy it.

-

So that day, while I had something to look forward to, I figured it wouldn't hurt to just relax a little and just have another good day. Addison hadn't called either of us. There was nothing that she had to say... and I didn't know if I was expecting an apology for her being so unreasonable or simply a ticket to a conversation on how we can compromise with the issue.

But she said nothing.

So I left my phone at home, took Connor's hand, sat him in the passenger seat of his own truck and told him to close his eyes. I trust him enough to keep his eyes closed and felt lazy enough not to blind-fold him, while I spontaneously thought of a place to go.

I turned the key to his truck and felt the engine start-and as soon as I did, he flinched and grabbed hold of the edge of his seat. It reminded me of being on the Ferris wheel with him-when he was afraid of it, at first.

"Skylar Faith," he laughed, unsteadily and adjusted in his seat multiple times, "where are we going?"

"If I told you to keep your eyes closed, do you really think I'm just going to tell you where we're going?"

And he laughed, still sitting stiffly and uneasily, "Touché."

So as he prepared himself for my horrible driving while I reached for the radio knob, I started my random speech-as I would do when I tried to sound sophisticated, "First of all, put on your seatbelt," I started, demanding him to do so while I watched him sit there like a statue.

And once he'd done as I told him to, I continued, "second... I figured that, because it's twelve o'clock, we could just do whatever the hell came to mind because I suck at coming up with date ideas."

He smirks from where he sat, with his eyes still shut, "Oh, so we're going on a date?"

"It could be."

"I like this idea, so far." He nodded, starting to loosen up a bit while I drove on a smoother road and tried my best not to make the turns rough.

I carefully checked my mirrors and bothered to check every road sign, while he wasn't exactly in the position to correct me, "anyways, we've already been to nearly every place in town before, so I figured I could put a twist on a place we'd been to a million times."

"A twist?"

"Yup."

"What kind of twist?"

"Like I said, Anthony-I'm not gonna spoil anything."

And he let his head fall back for a second, "My name isn't Anthony."

"You call me by my whole name-I call you by your last name. Let it be a fair game, Anthony."

Then he just laughed and let me go on with whatever I planned on saying while I tried to remember where I was driving.

I was already enjoying the new feeling of having a different view for Connor. He was, of course, my best friend still... that's what he would always be-but I liked being able to look at him and think of it in detail...