3. Diversities

I wouldn't think that my biggest regret that night would be to simply close my eyes.
I was out like light. We both were.
I woke up, groggily to the sound of police sirens. I figured it was just from the traffic, but once I opened my eyes, the red and blue lights were spiraling down by Grace's house.
It took me a second, but I realized what was going on, "Shit." I whispered.
My first move was to shake Connor awake. All he did was make a weird noise and turn away from me.
"Connor, I'm serious, get up."

He just barely begun to open his eyes when I ripped off his blanket and threw the pillows into the backseat as quickly as I could.

"What's the issue?"

"The police. They're down the road. It looks like they're at Grace's house."

His eyes widened and he climbed over the side of the truck bed with a sudden burst of energy, "Get in the truck." He said, half laughing.

"They aren't after us."

He chuckled, "What time is it?"

As I checked my phone, I'd fumbled to throw my seatbelt on.
He starts the truck, cringing at how loud the engine starts.

"It's one in the morning." I said, briefly.

So much for being home by ten thirty.

His eyes shot open and he'd made a quick turn and took off the other side of the lot.
He's driven quickly so nobody would notice us trying to escape the situation.

"Have your parents called?" I asked.

He glanced at his phone with one simple click on a button and shook his head, "Not once."

"That's strange."

He took off past a wired fence and we were slipping onto the road with his crappy driving. My head was pounding. Even with a nap that long, I was still in bad shape.
I would have to fake my character once we got back.

"You think you can sneak in?"

He shrugs and squints as he drove shakily on the empty road, "Probably."

"Connor?" I laughed smirking over at him.

"Yes?"

"You're screwed."

He gives me the 'okay' symbol with his hand and laughs a little, "Thank you. I know."

"Sorry. This was kinda my fault."

He shrugs and shakes his head, "I could've been the smarter one. But I fell for it."

I laughed rather abruptly and loudly, "Dammit."

****

When he dropped me off at my place, he rolled down the window for me, "If they start asking questions-- pretend you can walk in a straight line."

He winked back at me and chuckled, "Alright."

"Good Luck, Anthony!" I shouted as I made my way to the front door.

"Quit calling me that!" He joked as the window closed.

With my family-- or least what was left of it, they didn't mind much if I came home past curfew. They didn't pay much attention to me.
My grandmother, who was my main care-giver, was asleep by eight o'clock. And my grandpa was always focussed on his construction work. It was like he was afraid to retire.
The both of them were in their mid seventies. I would say that he should give himself a break.

I slipped in through the front door an me shut it as quietly as I could. The only person it would really disturb was my grandfather.

I snuck up the stairs and past their bedroom-- where my grandma was snoring.