9. Addison

"What was that about?" I asked Connor as Addison stayed near a food stand and was ordering a lemonade.

He shakes his head and leans up against the wired fence. That was as far as he could walk to avoid me, "Nothing. Just drop it."

I stood in front of him, glancing back to see if Addison was still at the stand, "I'm not going to just drop it... You seem to be making a pretty big deal out of whatever this is."

He shook his head again and bites down on his lower lip, "All I'm gonna say... is stay away from Tyler... please..."

I furrowed my eyebrows, folding my arms in frustration, "You two brought him up. I wasn't even thinking about him."

"Good," He muttered, "he's just trouble. All he'll do is hurt you."

I tilted my head, "And how would you know this?"

Suddenly, his focus and tension was completely set on me. He stared me dead in the eyes with a concerned look on his face, "Trust me, Skylar..."

I stepped back, ready to say something, but then Addison decided to cut in, "Everything okay?" She asks, sipping her lemonade.

I closed my arms again, "Yeah, it's fine."

She sighs and tries to help out, "Are you guys planning on heading back soon?"

"You wanna leave with us?" I offered.

"Well," She tried to think it over as quickly as possible, "Could I?"

There was some kind of concern in her eyes. She almost looked guilty of something, "You can stay at my place tonight, if you want."

Connor fakes a grunt, "I thought I was coming over."

I lift an eyebrow and glanced at the two of them. There was some obvious awkward weight between them all of the sudden.

"You both can come over. My grandparents won't mind."

They shared a look. Some look that didn't strike me as familiar. But then they agreed to it, "Alright," He grins, "Let's go, then."

****

Addison didnt even call her family first. She just hopped into the back seat of Connor's truck and was silent.

The drive home was slow and quiet.
It was such a fun night, it must've drained them out.

I figured I could lighten the mood a bit. I leaned across my seat and turned the radio up. It was some Ed Sheeran song.

Take me in to your loving arms.
Kiss me under the light of a thousand stars.

I didn't know it well... so I only swayed in my seat and hummed to the parts I'd caught onto.

Connor hummed along. He tapped his fingers on the steering the wheel and continuously glanced back at Addison who was quiet with her eyes out the window.

He sighs, glancing at me in assurance. He was asking me if she was okay just by looking at me.

I nod, giving the opportunity for him to try and cheer her up, "Whatcha thinking about?" He says with a rosy smile.

She looks up as if she was just ripped from her thoughts, "Oh, nothing."

He gave her a sly smirk, "I believe that's a lie."

I listened to them speak and didn't say a word to try and assist him.

She shakes her head, but her face was buried in guilt about something, "How would you know?"