21. Deteriorating

For full effect, play the clip above whole reading.
fully recommended.

***

For like any circumstance with those two, we fell asleep where we were last.
So we'd spent the entire night talking until we passed out on my carpet.
I'm pretty sure Addison accidentally rolled under my bed a couple times, in her sleep.
And although that night was cheerful and welcoming...
That morning wasn't as pleasant.

****

"Skylar," Connor says, shaking me by my arm. It was a familiar way to be awoken, which meant something was obviously wrong, "Get up, please."

"What is it?" I say, rubbing my eyes.

He was about to speak, but then I realized that it was just him and me in my room, "Where's Addison?"

"She went home but--"

I widely shot my eyes open, "She went home? What?"

"Yes, but--"

"Connor, what's going on?"

"I'm trying to explain to you but you have to--"

And I cut him off, scrambling to my feet and moving toward the door so I could see what was happening outside my room. The hallways were clear.
I didn't sense what the issue was.

but Connor seemed mortified.

"What is it?"

He sighed and stands up, then took my arm and lead me down the stares.

I knew it must've been something bad.

I see my grandpa kneeled down beside the couch with my grandmothers hand in his.

And my heart dropped.

"Grandpa...," I say, and he looks over at me, "what's going on?"

My grandmother was awake and cringing at something. Her eyes were shut but she was rolling her wrists around and had a look of excruciatingness on.

"Grams," I said, breathlessly and pulled my arm from Connor's. I dragged my feet against the ragged carpet and kneeled down beside my grandpa where I could see her clearly. She was in pain, "Grams, what is it. Talk to me."

My grandpa spoke for her, "She's in a lot of pain and refuses to go to the hospital."

I glanced back over at her, "Grams, you have to go to the hospital..."

"No," She says between her teeth, "they won't do anything for me."

"Yes they will. They can take the pain away."

Connor steps closer to the cluster of us.

My grandma sat up a little, opening her tightly squinted eyes and peered at me, "Skylar, trust me. You just have to let this one pass."

"Let this one pass? What is this? A kidney stone?"

That's when Connor set his hand on my shoulder. As if he knew something.
I looked up at him, innocently.

He looked so afraid for me... yet simply standing in acceptance.

I looked back at my grandparents... mostly my grandpa... and swallowed, "What's going on?"

I said it so quietly, it made the moment more intense.

Then my grandpa and Connor exchanged a look, "You see, Sky...," my grandpa started, "when people get old... they're body just starts to fall apart."