10. Fear

Connor had gotten quiet over the night. Addison was the one person I talked to... while Connor sat in silence.
I learned a lot about Addison... And she happen to learn much more about me than I planned to give her. We spoke for hours and my grandparents hardly knew we were there.
Suspiciously, Addison had already known about what happened to my parents... almost as if she knew every detail... but who would tell her that? Connor and a few other people were the only people I've actually told.
She seemed to know so much... things that only Connor would know... unless Connor and her had been talking without me knowing.

****

Like usual, we'd fallen asleep on the roof... And Connor happened to be the first one out.

... But I was the first one awake.

I pried my eyes open and sat up, which took all the efforts in me. I yawned, using my hand to hold me up.

They were out like a light.

While Addison, cluelessly, was practically nestled into his shoulder.

In no means to interrupt another sweet moment, I kicked her in the leg.
which did nothing.

I grunted, trying not to laugh at her, and kicked her harder. And she only yawned and snuggled closer to him.
She had her arms folded towards him and if she planned on moving any farther, they would intertwine.

So, At that point, I was annoyed.

I kicked her foot hard enough to knock it from it's place. She nearly lost a shoe.

"Ouch," She mutters and slowly opens her eyes. As soon as she saw who was directly in front of her face, she flinches back and sits up. She sat stiffly, and turned her head to look at me puzzled, "Have I been like that all night?" She was referring to the personal space between her and Connor.

I awkwardly nodded.

She scattered away from him and clears her throat, "I'm sorry. I didn't mean--"

"Don't be sorry. It's not a big deal. Besides, he's not even awake to know about it."

The sun was harsh on the hot black shingles while I adjusted in my spot. I felt like I'd already had a sunburn.

Addison sighs and watched how comfortably Connor was lying there... it was almost creepy. She had her eyes locked on him.

So I began thinking out loud.

"Do you...," I was mentally preparing myself for what I was about to ask, "Do you have feelings for Connor?"

One of the most awkward questions I could ever ask a person out of the blue.

She lifted her brows, making sure there was plenty of space for her eyes to nearly pop out of her head, "Why would you think that?"

I shrug, "I don't know... I read the signs."

She struggled to speak without stuttering, "No... No, I would never get between you and him."

I bursted into laughter, "Me and him?"

She nods slowly, "Yeah..."

I looked away from her and got ready to stand up. I needed unnecessary emphasis, "Connor is like my brother... And he has been... for years."

She shrugs, "But... I saw Conno--"

I cut her off, "I could never... ever see Connor as anything else other than my best friend."

She pauses... regretting her wording... and as soon as the conversation narrowed to an ending, Connor shuffles in his place until he realizes that he's awake.