Ch. 5 - My New School is a Skin Disease

The sky was cloudy, the entire city whitewashed in a colorless hue of gray brown. The buildings were all identical, in perfectly spaced rows, all with brick walls and chimneys, the roofs all gray shingles. The sky was pouring, the torrents of rain thundering against the dull city. No one walked the streets, everyone scurrying away and closing the curtains and locking the windows. It was unnatural, silent. There was a fearful tension, as if a demon walked the earth and had eyes in every shadow. 

"Sissy! You can't do this! He can't be trusted!" A voice hissed as two black figures turned around the corner of a house, walking in the alley between.

"The Dark Lord trusts him." The other woman replied, leading the other, holding herself with a grace and an air of nobility and power, walking purposefully towards the street. The woman behind her was the opposite, clinging to the walls, crouching and sneaking behind, voice lowered to a violent hiss.

"The Dark Lord's mistaken!" 

They turned around again and approached the house to their immediate left. The poise woman turned and knocked on the door with urgency. It echoed through the house, disrupting a man as he read the Prophet. They waited outside the black door, both looking around with slight paranoia, not wishing to be seen. A blur of a face came into view, pudgy cheeks and a rounded face showing up, surrounded by a rat's nest of brown red hair.He opened the door, three fingers snaking around the edges, the ring finger missing, cut off. His face was much like a rat's, the nose and lips pulled slightly upward and together. He let the women in, hesitant and suspicious, but also surprised. He led them into a study where a man clad in black was reading the newspaper.

Snape snapped the paper together, face stoic and aloof. He observed the prideful woman in front of him and her...odd, dangerous companion behind her.

"Run along Wormtail" he said smoothly, flicking his wrist as he held his wand, slamming the door shut on Wormtail's face. The woman, Narcissa Malfoy, shed her black rain coat, a modest yet noble dark green knitted gown underneath. She sat on a cushioned chair, delicately holding the drink offered her but had an air of nervousness.

"I-I know I'm not to be here. The Dark Lord himself forbade me to speak of this...."

"If the Dark Lord has forbidden it, you ought not to speak. Put it down Bella, we mustn't touch what isn't ours." The wild haired woman looked as Narcissa, then at the object in her hand and placed it back with a flourish and attitude driven purpose.

"As it...so happens, I'm aware of your situation Narcissa."

"You? The Dark Lord told you?" 

"Your sister doubts me....understandable. Over the years I've played my part well. So well, I've deceived one of the greatest wizards of all time..." Bella scoffed and snorted.

"Dumbledore is a great wizard. Only a fool would question it." But not just Dumbledore....now Percy as well. 

"I don't doubt you Severus."

"You should be honored Sissy. As should Draco!" Narcissa uncertainly looked at her sister, nervous and afraid. She looked back to Severus, her eyes pleading.

"He's just a boy." Severus thinned his lips.

"I can't change the Dark Lord's mind. But it might be possible for me to help Draco." Narcissa looked at him with hope, elegantly rising from her seat.

"Severus..." Her sister looked suspicious behind her, questioning Snape before a dark looked crossed her face.

"Swear to it." The others in the room looked back at her, confusion and questions in their expressions.