TWENTY SIX

"Please don't leave me" that echoes in my mind as I sit in the warehouse

I need to tell her, I have to tell her.

It's been two weeks since that whole situation at my house. I've tried to be more mindful about her feelings and the way I get her attention.

I have no fucking idea what I'm doing anymore, I'm so confused with my feelings, I have a fucking girlfriend for fuck sake.

As I sit here at the table waiting for jack to turn up, I feel two heavy hands slap down onto my shoulders.

"You little fucker, where you been hazza?" Fucking Neil, he seems to be everywhere.

"I've been around Neil" we never have meetings and we rarely have any jobs together.

"Yeah but you've not been to the warehouse in a while, if I didn't know better I'd have thought you tried to get out" I have to laugh, I fucking wish.

That's why I'm currently here, trying to suss out how serious this all this, because I do need out and I can't just leave.

"In your dreams" I hate this man, how is he forty and still lounging about as a druggie.

"Nah in yours mate" yeah that's true, I do want out big time.

He takes a seat next to me and doesn't say anything else, I'm so glad.

Then a rush of people walk in and take seats all around the table, one person I don't spot is Chris. He's a newbie all newbies have to be here.

I see a few of the other lads who look shut scared and I don't blame them, they all look borderline twenty.

Then he walks in.

Crowley. The man who holds all of our lives.

"Gentlemen" the vindictive tone is not lost on me.

All you hear is silence across the room, you could probably hear a pin drop right now.

"So I've noticed that all this weeks jobs have been done, don't think I'm giving you fucking lot praise" he aims that at the newbies, the rest of us know better.

I have no clue why I bother coming to these things, nothing ever gets said about my side of this gang. I hate sitting here and being given orders.

"Now down to official business, we need to lay low now. So I'm stopping jobs which means no money. Now if any of you have any fucking issues then leave right now" I could take that as my queue but he knows this isn't my only form of income.

"Boss, why do we need to lay low" why does Neil need to ask questions, just take the fucking order.

"Reasons that don't concern you" a valid answer, that shuts him up.

"Styles, my office after this" oh fuck, why?

He carries on ranting about how the newbies can make some income that isn't from this, but they don't seem to interested.