Chapter 3

CHAPTER 3

MISHTI'S POV

"The feeling of being home.", he said looking at me intensely.

As soon as the words left his mouth, my heart skipped a beat and I was reminded of a certain memory when I was four and he, seven.

***

It was almost dusk with the sun setting. I was walking with Abbi and Teddy through the fields in the backyard. Both of them were much taller than me and it was difficult for me to keep up with them.

"Teddy, walk slowly. I have to run to match your speed."

"Come on Mishtu. If you walk slowly how will you grow up?"

"Mishtipie, hold my hand.", Abbi offered me his right hand for me take. I quickly grasped it because I knew that unlike Teddy, he wouldn't leave it.

We kept walking through the fields of grass, watching the sun set. Teddy was walking ahead of us and talking to Abbi about the latest cricket match they watched and about some guy who played really well and won the match for India.

After sometime, when Teddy was talking too seriously, Abbi impatiently nudged my hands. With his eyes, he motioned towards the other side of the field. Understanding what he meant, I immediately nodded my head.

Slowly and stealthily, we moved in the opposite direction without Teddy noticing. After covering a considerable distance quietly, the two of us ran as fast as we could.

We reached a beautiful stream of river, with rocks and pebbles covering the boundary of the river, and a few of them obstructing the flow of the water. The river glittered due to the reflection of the rays of the setting sun, that made the place look magical. The place was peaceful, with the gushing water being the only source of sound.

Holding my hand tightly, Abbi guided me through the rocks slowly and steadily, making sure I do not fall down due to the slippery rocks. Hopping on a few of them, we reached the biggest rock in the middle of the stream. Panting heavily, both of us sat down on the rock and watched the sun setting.

"Abbi, why are we here?"

"Just felt like it", he turned towards me and gave me a soft smile.

"Abbi, do you know, I am now learning alphabets in school? Now, just like the two of you, I can also sing the alphabet song!", I said grinning widely through my broken teeth.

"Of course you can, Mishtipie! After all, you are very smart!", he said by putting his hands on my shoulders and pulling me towards himself, making me giggle.

"Mishti, you are very lucky. You have parents who love you so much and a brother who would do anything for you. There are people who do not get the love of parents even after having them. And even worse, some kids like you and me do not even have a family. So, whenever you can, pray to god and tell him a thank you. Okay?"

"Okay Abbi.", I nodded, making my two small pigtails shake vigorously.

Realizing he looks sad, I ask him through my enlarged doe eyes, "Abbi, did Meenakshi aunty hurt you?"

He smiled warmly and said, "No, not really, Mishtipie. Just sad."

"Abbi, if you are hurt tell me. I will tell Meenakshi aunty to not hurt you.", I said perking up immediately.

"I know you will, Mishtipie. Whenever I need help, I will ask you. Okay?"

"Okay! And if I need help, can I ask you?"

"Definitely! We will have a deal. Whenever we have problems we can't share with others, we will share with each other. Pinky promise?"

"Pinky promise!", I said looping my little finger with his and both of us grinning widely.

"We can meet here, whenever we need to."

With excitement gleaming in my eyes and clapping my hands, I said, "Abbi! This will be our secret hideout!"

"Of course it will be. We won't tell this to Kunal.", he said, giving me one of his boyish grins and pinching my chubby cheeks.

He hugged me tightly by my shoulders and said, "Mishtipie, do you know? You, me and this place feels more like home than my house ever did."

***

As the particular memory comes back to my mind, I look at him, at a loss for words. He smiles mischievously as if he knows what I am thinking about and saunters away towards my mom at the kitchen, leaving me and my thoughts alone. 

***

Hello!

This is the third chapter!

I know, this is shorter than usual. But I wanted to limit this chapter to just the flashback!

Hope you enjoyed it! Will update soon!

Thank you!