Chapter 17

CHAPTER 17

ABIR'S POV

I look out of the window of the backseat of my car. Right now, I am brimming with excitement as we are on our way to the amusement park.

"Abir, enjoy yourself today, okay? Mumma and Papa will do everything in this world to make you happy.", my father said, looking at me through the mirror in the car, with sincerity shining in his eyes.

"Yes Abir. After all, my favourite son is turning 5 today!", my mother turned around and pinched my cheeks, smiling warmly at me.

We are a happy little family living with satisfaction and a lot of love. I smile at both my parents who are looking at me with so much love.

"Papa, what about my gift?"

"What do you want, beta?", he asked looking at me through the mirror.

"A remote-controlled car!", I exclaim immediately, with excitement.

My mother suddenly looks taken aback and nervous. But my dad turns to her and blinks at her reassuringly, "Of course, consider it done."

"But Mehul, we can't afford-"

"Meenu, I will take care of this. I will not deny anything my son asks me. Especially, on his birthday."

I immediately jump in the car, happiness surging through me. I have seen friends from my play school play with one of those and ever since, I have wanted one. I lean forward through the gap between the seats and hug my father and kiss him on the cheeks, "I love you Papa."

He pats my face lovingly, still concentrating on the road, "I love you too, Abir."

My mother gasps dramatically, "So you don't love me Abir?"

I immediately hug my mother and kiss her as well, "No mumma. I love you, infinity!"

She kissed me back, "I love you, infinity too, my Abir"

I sit back in my seat and look outside my window.

Suddenly, my father parks the car in a corner.

"There is a toy shop in the opposite side of the road. I will buy your gift and come back.", he said and got off the car and crossed the road carefully.

I feel so lucky to have such parents who love me so much that they would want to do anything for me. And today being my birthday, all that I wish for is to live a happy life with my family, forever.

Two minutes later, I see my father waving at me with a wide grin on his lips. He waved the cardboard box containing the new red colour remote-controlled car at me, smiling happily. My mother laughed at his funny antics, as he crossed the road, still waving the toy my way and walking bouncily, like a clown. A giggle escapes my throat as I see my favourite person in the world bringing my favourite birthday gift for me.

A sudden loud horn disrupts the happy moment, as I notice that a huge truck is only few meters away from my dad. Panic courses through my body as I watch the scene in front, and I involuntarily scream at my dad to move fast, only for him to turn towards the truck slowly and freeze. I heard my mother shout his name but all that my dad does is stand still looking at the truck that is too close to him now. When the truck makes contact with his body, I feel as if I've been knocked out of breath. I cannot breathe. All I can see is my father flying in the air due to the impact of the hit and he falls on the ground, a few meters away from the place of collision.