Chapter 4

CHAPTER 4

MISHTI'S POV

Ho Jai Jai Shiv Shankar

Aaj mood hai bhayankar

Rang udne dedo

Rang udne dedo

Hum Aaye bann-thann kar

Ki mood hai bhayankar

Rang udne dedo

Rang udne dedo

I wake up as I hear the song blaring from the speakers in my room, along with the voices of two bastards singing along. Frustrated, I cover my ears with my pillow and try to sleep. Yet, I cannot prevent the voices of Kunal and Abir shouting the lyrics of the song in my bedroom. These monkeys know very well how to irritate me early in the morning. I quickly take my pillow and start beating the crap out of the two idiots who are laughing as if they are watching an episode of stand-up comedy.

"You idiots! Can't the two of you see that I was sleeping? Monkeys! I can't believe you are my brother and my friend. Stupids!", I shouted while hitting them with my pillow, while the two of them were literally rolling on the floor, laughing.

"Hey Mishtu, calm down. We were just waking you up. Get ready quickly and come down for breakfast.", Kunal replied and got up and ran away with Abir before I could show them my brilliant Karate moves. But I am really happy that Kunal is back for good. He has completed his college now and I think he will join dad's business really soon. I've missed Kunal a lot. And Abir too. We have been really close since childhood.

Pushing my thoughts away, I take a bath and quickly get ready. While crossing the room, yesterday's gifts catch my eye. I look at the clock. There is still time for breakfast. Deciding to open them quickly, I first take the one from my parents. It is a small box, gift wrapped in white colour and tied with a blue ribbon. Opening it, I found a beautiful gold watch, studded with pearls. I smiled looking at it, because I knew why mom would have decided to gift me a watch. According to her, I should learn to do things on time. I agree I procrastinate a lot but hey, I am not that bad.

I next open Kunal's huge box. I grin widely when I see a very fluffy and cute Teddy bear that has a heart in the middle that says "Best Sister Ever". Kunal has had an obsession over Teddy bears since we were really tiny. Even though I tease him about his obsession being a little bit girly, I've always found it really cute that he likes them. His room used to be filled with Teddys and once when I asked him for one of them, he refused to give it to me. I've been calling him "Teddy" ever since.

I then quickly open Naira's gift to find a manicure set. Seriously, this girl and her love for nails has no limits.

Shaking my head, I look at the fourth and the smallest box of the lot. The one from Abir. My heart beats fastly in anticipation and as I open the box, I gasp loudly. In there, is a beautiful silver chain with a heart-shaped crystal pendant that dazzles brightly due to the light in the room. A small smile forms on my lips as I look at the beautiful chain. I notice a small piece of paper folded below the chain. I take it and open it with my heart thudding loudly.

Dear Mishtipie,

You are turning 18 this year and I wanted to gift you something special. Two summers ago, when I went to Switzerland this one caught my eye and it immediately reminded me of you. Unique, simple, elegant and perfect. I've kept it safe all these years in the hope of gifting it to you on a special occasion. And I don't want to delay it anymore. I hope you like it as much as I love it.

Yours,

Abir.

I grinned widely reading this letter. This is so sweet! I didn't know how to react. I wear the pendant gifted by Abir and look at myself in the mirror. It feels perfect. I feel perfect.

"Mishti! Come down!", I heard my mom's voice.

"Yes mom, coming.", I replied quickly and went downstairs.

I went to the dining table and took my seat next to dad. Abir who sat opposite to me, noticed the chain I wore. He looked up at me with a small smile and expectant eyes. I smiled warmly and mouthed a "Thank you" and he grinned widely.

After all of us settled, mom served us our favourite Khichdi today. Mom's food is always the best. Nothing can beat the taste of the food prepared by mom.

Kunal cleared his throat nervously and said, "I have something to say."

"Go ahead, beta.", dad nodded and replied.

"Dad, before I take up our family business, I wish to work in Mumbai for a couple of years. I have gotten into a respectable company there as an intern, papa. I want to have some working experience before I take up the responsibility of being the CEO. Will this be fine, dad?"

I sat there for a few moments, stunned. He wants to go back? He just came home. Have I been over-excited for nothing? Now things will get even worse. Naira is going to Delhi for college. Kunal will go back to Mumbai and Abir? I don't even know what he is upto. I have a feeling that with Kunal going away, Abir's visits will become less frequent and I will become as lonely as ever.

He is looking at dad hopefully, who is mirroring my expression. After a long gap, dad smiles and says, "Well, if this is what you want, then you can go back."

Kunal grins widely and jumps and says, "Dad, you are the best. Thank you so much!"

Abir who looks as taken aback as me, then accuses Kunal as if he has stolen his favourite packet of cookies, "You did not even tell me that you will be leaving me and going back! What will I do without you?"

Huh. Dramatic Rajvansh.

"Oh shut up! You will do fine here. Mom, dad and Mishtu are there for you here. You don't need to worry.", Kunal said slapping his shoulder.

Noticing my foul mood, Kunal pacifies me, "Mishtu don't worry. I won't take long. Just another year and I will be back."

"Just another year? I've already waited for four years! Looks like you don't care about your sister being lonely at home."

"Mishtu I'm sorry! I will try to come earlier if possible. I just want to be ready for all of this."

Sighing heavily, "Okay. When are you leaving?"

"Next week", he said fidgeting his fingers.

"Next week? Not fair, Teddy. You've come home after one year and you're staying here only for a week?"

"I have to report next Monday, Mishtu. I'm sorry."

I nod slowly, understanding his situation. The day passed on a dull note for me.

After dinner, when Abir was about to leave, he looked at me deeply and expectantly, as if waiting for my answer of his unasked question. Realizing what he wants to ask, I nod at him slowly, with a soft smile. He nods back in understanding and mouths, "Eleven?". Catching what he meant, I again nod and smile at him. He smiles back, waves at the others and leaves.

***

Hey! This is chapter 4!

As MishBir/RheSha fans the last few days have been brilliant, right?

Shaheer might become a father (praying that the news is true), he is returning as Dev in Krpkab 3 and Rhea posted!

Anyway, I hope you liked the chapter! Please do vote if you did!

Thank You!