Chapter 28

CHAPTER 28

ABIR'S POV

"MISHTI!"

I felt as if all air had been sucked out of my body. My lungs seemed to be unable to function and it felt as if my heart forgot how to pump blood.

On hearing my loud scream, Mishti became more alert to her surroundings and turned to her left to see a big white car approaching her. Her eyes widened in shock and she lifted her hands up, as if surrendering.

And everything that transpired next, felt like reliving a very vivid memory of mine, which always haunted my dreams.

Amidst the loud horns, the front of the car collided with the soft body of my Mishtipie, carrying her body forward with force. I could hear her scream, as her head collided with the hood of the car and she jerked back due to its force. And then, she flew and fell down on the ground with a thud, a few feet away from me.

I froze as I saw the huge truck making contact with my father's front, causing him to fly and fall down a few meters away from the place of collision.

I felt as if my whole body had gotten paralyzed, as every single thing I feared came true.

And then, I started getting visions of the day that I very desperately hoped to forget. My breathing got heavier as more and more visions clouded my brain.

There laid my father's crooked body, fully covered in blood. His unconscious form fighting for life and a smashed cardboard box lying beside him, that showed me my reality.

I was the reason my father died.

I couldn't help but notice eerie similarities between the two incidents and I started taking fast breaths, desperate to catch any little amount of air required to keep me alive.

With my heart thumping loudly with anticipation, I shook him, "Papa, wake up. You should not sleep on the road."

I noticed Jugnu Bhaiyya coming out of his car and running towards the now limp form of the woman I love.

The woman I love. I chuckled humorlessly.

The moment I accept my love for her, she is already fighting for her life.

"Abir, fast! We need to take her to the hospital!", I heard Jugnu Bhaiya shouting, that brought me out of me reverie. I immediately ran towards her and found her lying limp on the ground. There was a pool of blood lying around her head that made me freeze. I noticed her head lying on top of a stone and I immediately realized that her head hit the stone forcefully, owing to the head injury. Without wasting any more time, I quickly picked her unconscious form delicately in my arms and ran as fast as I could towards our car, that Bhaiya had by now kept ready.

Settling both of us in the backseat, I got to know from Bhaiya that there is a hospital nearby and I thanked heavens for that.

I placed her head on my lap and I started shivering looking at the damsel in front of me. There was a big bruise on her forehead from which blood continuously oozed out and within seconds, my hands were completely drenched in her blood. The rate at which she was losing blood made my body run cold and immediately all the negative thoughts filled my head that I desperately tried to push away.

She is still fighting. She hasn't lost yet.

I took her hand that seemed to have been bent in all wrong directions and held her veins tightly, hoping against hope that I would feel the familiar thumping. When I felt her heartbeats, I heaved a sigh of relief and looked at her sweet innocent face covered with blood. I quickly scanned her body to look for any other major injuries, but did not find anything else other than her broken arm and a hundred minor scratches on her body.