Chapter 31

CHAPTER 31

MISHTI'S POV

I stared above at the plain white ceiling and the rotating fan, as I stayed limp on the bed.

This is boring.

I turned my head to my left to see Kuhu sleeping peacefully.

Kuhu decided to stay with us at our place until we left back to Rajkot. These last two days since I got discharged, she has been sleeping with me in the guest room to give me company, while my parents took over Kunal's room. Poor boys, they slept in the living room on a mattress.

I turned to my right and looked at the photo frames on the bed side table. There were two frames- one with Kuhu and Kunal doing weird faces at the camera, and the other with Abir, Kunal, Naira and I sitting under the tree, with mud smeared across our faces, smiling at the camera, but I had the biggest grin possible on my face.

I chuckle as I reminisce what happened that day.

***

The four of us are in the backyard of our house playing, while I tried my best to hold back my tears. The four of us had decided to play catch-and-catch, but I have no mood to play anymore. So, I walked away and sat down under the tree, huffing dramatically.

Noticing me walking out, the other three called out for me.

"Mishtu, what happened?", Teddy shouted from where he was, while I ignored it.

"Mishti, why are you sitting now?", Naira shouted next. Again, I ignored her and made myself comfortable as I sat down on the ground and hugged my knees to my chest.

"Mishtipie, are you okay?", Abbi ran towards me and crouched down beside me. I looked up to see him looking at me, very concerned.

I shook my head slowly as tears filled my eyes.

Teddy and Naira followed him and sat down next to me.

"What happened, Mishtu?", Teddy asked me, as he hugged me by my shoulders.

I hiccupped as I cried, "Nobody wants me."

He frowned, "What are you saying, Mishtu? I am your brother and I love you so much. Mumma and Papa loves you. See, you have your best friend Naira, my best friend Abir, all of us are there, no? What happened?"

I left a frustrated sigh, "You all are there. But I don't have a husband!"

"WHAT!", Kunal reacted first.

I turned to him, "Yes Teddy. Mumma said nobody wants to marry me."

"Wha- Mumma? What did she say?", he looked flabbergasted.

"That nobody wants to marry me because I am a kid!", I was getting more frustrated by the second.

Kunal got up immediately and rushed inside, calling out for our mother.

Abir spoke as soon as he left, "Mishtipie, why do you want to get married now?"

"I don't know. I want to get married.", I spoke stubbornly.

He sighed softly, "Mishtipie, your Mumma is correct. You cannot get married now."

Tears filled my eyes once again at his words, "But- but why? I want to get married. Like a princess. I- I want to wear a garland. A choli! I want a husband!"