vii. the turning page

07. chapter seven!
the turning page

trigger warning:
b!tches pretending they're not in love,
slight sexual themes towards the end !!

Or maybe he'll kill me, Katarina wanted to whisper back to her friend, but if she left it any longer Kaz would've been out of sight and if she wanted to get across the fold she'd have to do what he asked.

    "Where are we going to find a goat?" Katarina asked as she caught up to him, slightly out of breath.

    "I've got a plan, just follow me."

Katarina rolled her eyes. "You always say that, and whilst we're on the topic, why am I with you?"

Kaz glanced at her, confusion written all of his features.

    "Well, I just thought.. you know, you were a lone ranger, a wolf with no pack, a-"

    "If I tell you, will it shut you up?"

You could shut me up, she thought for a moment, but as quickly as it was thought; she pushed it to the back of mind, wanting to scold herself for thinking such a thing. Instead, she hummed in agreement.

    "Because I wanted to."

Still reeling in the thought of seeing Kaz in such a way, Katarina didn't respond, her gaze switched between the road ahead of them or the stones she kicked with her feet.

    "What, no witty comment or sarcastic comeback?"

Katarina shook her head, still not looking his way even though she could feel his eyes on her. Taking another stride, she was stopped by something rather solid hitting her abdomen.

    "Ow-!"

Turning to him, she frowned. "I told you I'd break that bastard thing if you hit me again."

Kaz smiled to himself for a brief moment.

Happiness looks good on you, Kaz Brekker.

He hummed, pulling her back to reality.

    "You're going to be the death of me, Katarina Levitsky."

Her heart stopped at his words.

    "Come on, we have to move quickly if we want this goat."

     Kaz stopped outside of a shop, at last Katarina thought to herself, "Butchers? Kaz Brekker, you evil mother-"

    "We're saving it." Kaz interjected. "Do you really think that low of me?"