xvii. zitti e bunoni

17. chapter seventeen!
zitti e buoni

"And what about the happy couple over here?" Marko asked, throwing his arms out in excitement.

"Excuse me?"

"There is nothing happy about that couple." Jesper joked, and Katarina was sure to glare at him before he looked away.

    "I—"

    "We'll make our own way." Katarina cut him off, not even sparing a glance at Kaz, who was practically burning holes in her side.

    "What's the matter, Kat? Don't feel like putting on a light show today?" Kaz sneered, and she turned to face him with a devilish smirk on her lips. 

    "Oh, whatever do you mean, Mr Brekker?" Her fingers intertwined behind her back as she looked up at him.

    "Shadows talk in the barrel, Miss Levitsky."

    "Saints, Kaz," Annika laughed, joining the rest of the group. "Your heart is beating like mad."

At her words, they all turned to her, confused.

    "How would you know?" Katarina asked, crossing her arms over her chest.

    "I- I don't. It's just an observation."

    "What are the odds that you two aren't as open with each other as you may have thought?"

    "What are the odds that I shove that cane all the way up—"

    "Woah!" Jesper laughed, placing his arm on her shoulders and steering her away from Kaz.

    "So," Annika whispered as she walked with Katarina

"So," Annika whispered as she walked with Katarina. It was agreed she would accompany the travelling circus as an assistant of sorts, but still choosing to follow the dark haired girl out of the pub. "Have you decided how you're going to get to Kirigan, yet?"

"Annika, lower your voice." Kat hissed, pulling her fur-lined jacket over her shoulders.

"Well, have yo—"

"Katarina." Kaz called out, prompting her to halt her walking and turn around.

"Kaz."

"May I have a word?"

Her eyes met Annika's, and she inwardly sighed before shrugging. She didn't have much choice, but she fell behind and into step with him quick enough.

"Don't do it."

"What? Shove the cane up your—"

"Katarina." He warned.

"What? I can't read your mind!"

"Don't go after him. You could get killed."

She didn't reply for a moment, simply taking in her surroundings, biting her tongue. But, as usual, that hadn't lasted very long.