xi. before sunrise, but after sunset

11. chapter eleven!
before sunrise, but after sunset

trigger warning:
like guns? i think that's it?

    "Quickly!" Arken shouted, "We need to get moving now."

Inej had let go of Annika and pulled the door closed with the rope attached to the handle. It slammed shut behind them and Katarina untangled herself from Jesper.

    "Well, I don't know about you, but I was quite comfort—" Jesper's joke was cute short as loud gunshots rang out heard from outside of the train.

Peering out of the window, they watched as the land blew up. Land mines.

    "Please tell me you have twenty pounds of alabaster coal." Arlen turned to Jesper.

    "Slight snag in the plan," He began and Katarina rolled her eyes with a huff. "Turns out that the kid who was helping me buy the coal didn't exactly know how to, uh, buy coal."

    "We know you gambled it away." Kaz chastised.

    "I lost a little bit of the money." Every bar Annika and Arken narrowed their eyes at him. "I lost all of the money. Uh, but I managed to steal 20 pounds of alabaster coal."

Jesper sounded too confident as he handed Arken the bag.

    "No, no, there's sixteen pounds."

    "Sixteen pounds of alabaster coal." He corrected himself.

    "Sixteen?" Annika repeated in disbelief. "Can we do it on sixteen? Or will Billy Walters over here be there reason for all our deaths?"

    "Well—"

    "Hang on," Jesper pointed at her. "Who is Billy Walters?"

    "A famous gambler, should've known you wouldn't of gotten the joke."

Jesper raised his brow. "And just what do you mean by that?"

    "Exactly what you think I mean—"

    "Will the pair of you just shut up?" Katarina shouted. "I'll take great pleasure in smashing both of your heads together before we die in the fold. Now, can we do it or not?"

    "Never been done before."

    "Sit here." Arken demanded, walking around and assigning everyone a seat. Jesper sat on the seat that meant his back was on the door, Kaz sat barely a foot away from Katarina, Annika sat facing her and Inej was beside her. "Never shift your weight."

"You've crossed that many times?"

"It's a numbers game." Arken pulled up his sleeve. "Cross this many times and you get nightmares."

"You don't need to cross the fold to have nightmares." Katarina added, anger still lacking her words as she straightened out her coat.

    "Very true, Sabine—"

Suddenly, what sounded like explosions seemed to roar through the ground and even shake the train. Jesper stood up, peering through the small window and letting out a small gasp.