chapter twelve

YOU'RE NOT ALONE

"where's el?" max asks, looking around the lunch table.

"library." will states simply before eating his food.

"who even goes to the fucking library." mike mutters.

"people who don't like to look at assholes at the lunch table." will narrows his eyes at him.

"oh it's my fault again?" mike rolls his eyes.

"of course it's you or who else?" will asks.

"certainly not me." mike grins.

"sometimes i wish i was back in chicago where i didn't need to deal with your now football captain bullshit personality." will remarks.

"i do not have a bullshit personality-"

"you do. don't fucking deny it because you know you do." will cuts him off.

"well sometimes you can't survive being a fucking softie." mike hisses.

"you're an asshole, do you know that?" will asks.

"i know." mike nods.

"well theres el walking in looking dead." dustin points.

el was walking into the cafeteria with extra dark under eyes looking like she hasn't slept in days. she had sweatpants on with a matching grey hoodie with her hood up and the ends of her sleeves scrunched up in her small hands.

she walks over to them and leans down to will, "you have any quarters?"

"yeah." he takes out his wallet and hands her a few.

"thanks." she gives him a nod before turning around to walk off.

"wow wait." he grabs ahold of her wrist, "yeah?" she asks.

"why's your face so red?" he asks.

"oh uh, it's nothing, don't worry about it." she fakes a small smile, "wait for me at the parking lot after school."

"yes, i know but you're not leaving till you tell me what happened to your face." he demands.

"i got slapped, okay? it doesn't matter, now let go of my wrist." she whispers sternly as he quickly lets go due to her sudden mood change.

"el, who was it? it's not right, that's basically physical abuse!" he exclaims.

"so!? does it matter, will? i've been abused my whole entire life, this is just a few little slaps." she says.

"a few!?" his eyes widen and he stands up, "who was it?"

"it does not fucking matter!" she shouts, "stop acting like you care when you don't! we're not even fucking connected, you're just my stupid step brother and i'm just the stupid broken girl you picked up in an chicago orphanage!" she shoves him, "so don't pretend like you care because you don't!"